Barrow 3-0 Havant & Waterlooville

The match report from our opening day win at the FBSS!

Ian Evatt saw his side go top of the National League, following a convincing 3-0 victory against Havant & Waterlooville on the opening day of the season at the Furness Building Society Stadium.

The game started slowly, with no real chances being created in the first quarter of an hour as both sides looked cagey in the opening phases of their National League campaign.

It took 15 minutes for the first effort of the game, as Barrow cleared the ball towards the edge of the area and Havant’s Andreas Robertson took a first time shot straight at Firth.

The Bluebird’s first effort of the game came in the 23rd minute, with debutant Tyler Smith getting in behind the Havant defence on the right-hand side, but the Sheffield United loanee scuffed his effort wide of the left post.

In the 26th minute a slip up at the back from Brian Wilson almost gave Havant a chance, but thankfully for the Bluebirds Fogden’s ball towards Alfie Pavey lacked quality.

Around the half hour mark, a late tackle by Brian Stock on Josh Kay ignited a flare up between the two sides as Stock looked to have said something that the Barrow man disagreed with following the poor challenge. The referee decided to book both players.

With just five minutes to go until the end of the first half, Barrow took the lead. Jack Hindle found space on the edge of the area and unleashed a superb strike into the top right-hand corner of the goal.

Half Time: Barrow 1-0 Havant & Waterlooville

Barrow looked much the better side in the second half and in the 54th minute Barrow caught the Hawks napping. A short corner routine saw Rooney fire a low across the six-yard box and Tyler Smith bundled in his first goal for Barrow.

The visitors then tried to pull a goal back and the game had some end to end action. Andrew Firth pulled off an excellent save from Wes Fogden with his feet before Barrow went straight down the other end, Rhys Turner glancing a header towards goal which was well saved by Ryan Young.

Just after the hour mark the Hawks nearly halved the deficit as Alfie Pavey swung in a dangerous cross from the left-hand side, thankfully for the Bluebirds Nicke Kabamba could only flick the ball onto the outside of Firth’s left-hand post.

With twenty minutes to go Barrow made it 3-0 as the ball sat up nicely for Jack Hindle following a marauding run from the right wing, the Bluebird’s man cut inside before firing a low effort into the bottom right hand corner past Young in goal.

Barrow substitute Raul Correia came within inches of making it four for the Bluebirds soon after, as a powerful run by Dan Jones saw the left back pass the ball to the former Blackpool man who was in on goal, he cut inside his marker before dragging an effort inches wide of the near post.

The full time whistle went to thunderous applause from the Bluebirds faithful, who were more than happy with the display they had seen from their side.

Full Time: Barrow 3-0 Havant & Waterlooville

The Bluebird’s are next in action on Tuesday night as we head to The Shay to face FC Halifax Town, kick off is 7:45pm.