Barrow 3-1 Carlisle United

The report from our fantastic win against Carlisle United.

By Liam Bewsher

Barrow manager Ian Evatt saw his side beat Carlisle United in his first home game as manager, with some impressive displays by the likes of John Rooney, Nathan Waterston and the majority of the trialists on display.

Barrow started the brighter of the two teams and The Bluebirds had a fantastic chance to take the lead in the 3rd minute. Some good combination play in the midfield by John Rooney and a trialist saw the latter played in on goal, but he saw his shot hit the outside of Carlisle’s left-hand post from around 10 yards out.

Moments later, Barrow won a free kick on the right wing, a trialist crossing the ball to another who forced a smart save from Joe Fryer in the Carlisle goal.

In the 10th minute John Rooney nearly opened the scoring with a superb free kick from around 25 yards out in a central area, Fryer in the United goal pulling off a world class save as the ball looked to be heading in the top right-hand corner.

Shortly after Rooney’s effort Bluebird’s winger Nathan Waterston raced onto a loose ball down the right wing and crossed a dangerous low ball into the Bluebirds trialist forward, unfortunately the striker blasted the ball over the crossbar from close range.

In the 28th minute Connor Brown played a long ball over the top of Carlisle’s defence with United centre back Tom Parkes misjudging the flight of the ball allowing a Barrow trialist to race in behind. Unfortunately for the home side Fryer yet again came to Carlisle’s rescue.

On the half hour mark Barrow eventually took a deserved lead. John Rooney crossed the ball in from a corner on the left-hand side which Waterston met, thumping a header against the crossbar. Carlisle failed to clear the danger, allowing a Barrow trialist to put the ball over Fryer to break the deadlock.

It took Carlisle until the 37th minute to have a notable effort on goal, Cole Stockton turning his marker and shooting powerfully at Steve Arnold’s goal, however the Bluebirds shot stopper was equal to his effort.

Carlisle grew into the game late on in the first half, with Stockton holding the ball up well. He laid the ball off to his team mate who curled an effort from the left-hand side of the box, straight into Arnold’s arms.

Half Time: Barrow 1-0 Carlisle United

The second half started with Barrow changing the majority of their starting line-up with only Connor Brown staying on. Meanwhile, Richie Bennett made a return to The Furness Building Society Stadium for Carlisle.

Barrow doubled their lead almost straight from kick off thanks toJack Hindle. The Bluebirds forward intercepted a loose ball in the Carlisle United midfield, before leaving Carlisle’s centre back stranded and rifling a low shot into bottom left hand corner past Adam Colin.

Just after the hour mark, a Carlisle cross from the right-hand side by Kieron Olsen was met by Mike Jones who powerfully drove a shot towards the Barrow goal. However, Connor Brown was quick to charge out and block Jones’ shot and the danger was cleared. Carlisle then won a free kick on the left wing with 25 minutes to go after a foul by Brown on Hallam Hope. Mike Jones whipped a dangerous cross into the back post from the free kick which Macauley Gillesphey met, but, he headed the ball over the bar and onto the roof of the net.

With just 10 minutes to go, Carlisle set up a grandstand finish, a long ball down the left wing by Tom Parkes reaching it’s target in Hallam Hope who cut inside the penalty area, and took a shot towards goal. The Barrow trialist keeper made a good save but the ball fell to Richie Bennett who headed into the goal for the easiest of finishes.

The scoring wasn’t over though and it was the Bluebirds who regained their two goal advantage. It was Jack Hindle yet again who settled the scoreline with just seven minutes to go. A Barrow trialist went on a marauding run down the right wing before squaring the ball to Hindle who slammed his shot into the left-hand side of Colin’s goal from just inside the area.

Barrow’s next game is at The Furness Building Society Stadium against Crewe Alexandra on Saturday, the Bluebirds will be hoping for a similar result to keep up the pre-season momentum.

Full Time: Barrow 3-1 Carlisle United