FC Halifax Town 2-0 Barrow

The report from our defeat against FC Halifax Town.

Despite large spells of possession Barrow were beaten for the first time this season against FC Halifax Town at The Shay.

Ian Evatt named an unchanged team from Saturday’s impressive 3-0 victory against Havant & Waterlooville, as the Bluebirds looked to continue their perfect start to the National League season.

Barrow’s first effort of note was one by Josh Kay from around 20 yards out,  the young midfielder fired wide of Sam Johnson’s left-hand post in the Halifax goal, following some excellent build up play between Kay and John Rooney.

Just a minute later Rooney tried an effort from around the same distance but on the other side of the pitch, Josh Kay teed him up, but his curling effort towards the top right corner went just over the bar.

With just five minutes to go before half time Barrow had another opportunity to take the lead, as Rooney drilled a corner into the box from the right-hand side, Jones met it at the back post, but his header went agonisingly wide for the visitors.

The Bluebirds were pressing for the opening goal as half time drew closer, and had the first effort on target in the game with 3 minutes to go. Neat build up play by Rooney saw him swing in a cross from the right wing that was met by Hindle, but the Halifax keeper stood firm to deny him a third goal in two games.

Barrow lived to regret the missed opportunities on the stroke of half time as the home side took the lead against the run of play. Following a cross from the left-hand side the ball ricocheted around the area, the ball eventually falling to Dayle Southwell who slotted the ball past Andy Firth.

FC Halifax Town then almost added a second in added time a surging run by Jordan Preston saw him cut inside, before firing an effort straight at Firth.

Half Time: FC Halifax Town 1-0 Barrow

The second half saw the Bluebirds have most of the possession, but they just couldn’t quite make it work in the final third.

The Bluebirds had their first effort of the second half 6 minutes in, Josh Kay seeing his goal bound shot blocked, allowing the goalkeeper to gather the ball. Five minutes later Jack Hindle made his way into the area after working a yard of space, before firing across goal with no one able to meet it at the far post.

Twenty minutes into the half the hosts then went close. The Bluebirds lost possession and a quick break saw Southwell released in behind the Barrow defence, however the Town striker dragged his effort wide of Firth’s left hand post.

Barrow were an inch away from an equaliser soon after. Jack Hindle cut inside from the right wing and produced a stunning left footed effort that crashed against the crossbar and came back out only to be cleared by the Halifax defence. Moments later he forced Johnson into making a superb save, a strike from a similar area was tipped over the bar by the Halifax stopper.

FC Halifax Town doubled their lead through Matty Brown as the Bluebirds pushed for an equaliser. Following a quick break the home side won a corner on the right-hand side, the ball was played in and met by Brown who headed past Firth with two minutes to play.

The Bluebirds pushed to get a goal back, but it wasn’t to be, and they were applauded off the field by the incredible 185 travelling Barrow fans who made the trip across to Halifax

Full Time: FC Halifax Town 2-0 Barrow

The Bluebirds next fixture is on Saturday when we travel to Leyton Orient, kick off is 3pm. The Bluebirds Trust are running a bus to the game, you can find details HERE.