Leyton Orient 2-2 Barrow

The report from our 2-2 draw at Leyton Orient.

A Raul Correia goal five minutes from time saw the Bluebirds pick up a well deserved point at Brisbane Road.

The Bluebirds kicked off in the first half and they almost took the lead after just 2 minutes. Josh Kay found space on the edge of the area and curled a shot towards goal which skimmed the top of the crossbar and went behind for a goal kick.

Leyton Orient didn’t heed that early warning sign and Barrow took the lead soon after. A fantastic passing move from the Bluebirds saw Rhys Turner play Jack Hindle in, the striker making no mistake and slotting the ball past Brill for his 3rd goal in 3 games.

The visitors kept pressing after their goal. First, Rhys Turner weaved his way into the box and put in a low ball which was cut out by an Orient defender, before John Rooney put a free kick over the bar from 25 yards.

With 15 minutes played a clever throw in routine from Barrow ended with a shot by Rooney which was just wide, before Dan Jones showed great skill to beat his man, but no one was able to get on the end of his shot.

The Bluebirds suffered a blow 22 minutes in when Rhys Turner limped off injured after a bright start, he was replaced by Nathan Waterston.

The first booking of the afternoon went to Josh Kay who appeared not to hear the referees whistle go, and so played on, but the man in the middle booked him for dissent.

John Rooney then lofted an effort towards the back post, the Orient keeper just about keeping hold of it before a long ball from the hosts made it all the way through to Firth, who had to be alert to gather it.

The Bluebirds picked up two more bookings, first Jason Taylor and then Connor Brown being shown yellow cards for what looked like soft fouls on Orient players.

An excellent first half for the Bluebirds came to an end after 5 minutes of added time, the visitors deserving their lead at half time, thanks to Jack Hindles early goal.

Half Time: Leyton Orient 0-1 Barrow

Leyton Orient started the second half on the front foot and 8 minutes in, Andy Firth pulled off one of the saves of the season. A cross was met at point blank range and Firth reacted superbly to block it with his face (Yes, really!).

Unfortunately for the Bluebirds, the hosts bright start to the half was rewarded with a goal after 55 minutes. A long throw led to pinball in the area, before Macauley Bonne managed to turn and fire past Firth.

Barrow then had a big shout for a penalty on the hour mark, Nathan Waterston tripped in the area but the referee waved away protests.

Waterston then had a golden chance to give the Bluebirds the lead, a low shot superbly saving the midfielders effort at the near post.

With both sides pushing for a winner, several substitutions were made over the next 15 minutes. Josh Koroma and James Dayton replaced James Alabi and Charlie Lee for Orient, with Luke Burgess replacing Josh Kay for the Bluebirds.

The introduction of Luke Burgess almost had an instant impact, the young Wigan loanee find a yard of space in the area and firing towards goal, but his blocked effort was gratefully gathered by the home keeper.

With 10 minutes to go, it was Leyton Orient who took the lead. Substitute Koroma beat the offside trap on the right hand side, and he slid the ball across for Bonne to score his second goal of the game. There were big appeals for offside against Bonne, but the linesmans flag stayed down.

Raul Correia then replaced Tyler Smith for Barrow, in what turned out to be an inspired substitution.

With just less than 5 minutes to go, the Bluebirds grabbed a deserved equaliser. A long throw from Dan Jones on the left made it all the way through to Raul Correia, who kept his cool to tap the ball into the net.

After a further 5 minutes of injury time at the end of the second half, the final whistle went, the Bluebirds heading home with another point in the bag.

Full Time: Leyton Orient 2-2 Barrow