Report: Barrow 0-1 Dagenham & Redbridge

The report from our defeat against Dagenham & Redbridge at the FBSS.

The Bluebirds were yet again left wondering how they didn’t get a share of the spoils, as they fell to a 1-0 defeat against Dagenham & Redbridge at the Furness Building Society Stadium.

Manager Ian Evatt named an unchanged starting eleven from Tuesdays game at Hartlepool, the only change in the squad seeing Joel Dixon take a place on the bench in place of Raul Correia – the forward having left the club midweek.

A quiet opening 10 minutes saw the extent of the attacking play being a Barrow corner which was claimed by Justham after 7 minutes.

The first real chance of the game fell to the visitors. The lively Tomi Adeloye fired a shot wide on the half turn, before he again fired wide after a long throw with 16 minutes played. The forward was causing the Bluebirds problems and a minute later Andy Firth had to be at his best to dive at his feet and claim the ball.

With 19 minutes played it was Justham in the Dagenham goal who was next called into action. Jason Taylor found Jack Hindle in space, his low shot seemed destined for the bottom corner before the visiting keeper tipped it around the post.

Halfway through the first half Dagenham almost took the lead. Adeloye made his way into the area and turned Lee Molyneux, before firing a shot towards goal which had Firth beaten, but Josh Granite was there to clear it off the line with a fine header.

Two bookings in 3 minutes followed for the visitors, Harry Donovan was the first to go into the book after a late tackle on Lee Molyneux, before Ben Goodliffe followed him after hauling Luke Burgess to the ground to stop the midfielder breaking.

Both sides were having chances as the half went on, a good move from Barrow saw Rooney fire wide, before Adeloye forced Firth into making a good save.

With 8 minutes of the first half remaining, the Bluebirds had the first of several golden chances to take all three points. A mis-kick from the Dagenham keeper landed straight at the feet of Burgess, who advanced towards goal, but Justham redeemed himself with a fantastic save to keep Barrow out.

Barrow then recieved two yellow cards in a minute, first Dan Jones was booked for a late tackle, before Josh Kay was booked, seemingly for a number of small fouls.

After two added minutes an even half came to a close with both sides having had chances to be ahead at the break.

Half Time: Barrow 0-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

Whatever manager Ian Evatt had said to his squad at half time had the desired effect and the Bluebirds came racing out of the blocks in the second half with two good chances early on.

First, Josh Kay advanced with the ball and unleashed a fierce shot which Justham could only parry away, before Kay was again involved, crossing to the back post only for Josh Granite to head over.

Whilst looking Dangerous in the first half, Dagenham forward Tomi Adeloye was booked on 51 minutes, and he became the first player of the afternoon to be subsituted a few minutes later, with Chieke Kandi replacing him.

The Bluebirds had upped the tempo and then had three good chances in 6 minutes.First, Jack Hindle was found in space but he fired over the bar, before a teasing low cross by Connor Brown was inches away from being turned goalbound by Tyler Smith. Smith was at the heart of the action again a minute later, his shot tipped round the post by Elliott Justham.

Harry Donovan was then replaced by Lamar Reynolds for the visitors, before good pressing from the Bluebirds saw the ball fall to Tyler Smith who turned his man and fired wide of the post.

Another golden opportunity fell to the home side after 67 minutes. Luke Burgess showed great vision to calmly play the ball into the path of Josh Kay who found himself one on one with Justham. Unfortunately for the Bluebirds, the keeper once again pulled off a great save to deny the Barrow midfielder.

A late tackle on Elliott Romain saw Connor Brown recieve a yellow card, before the injured Ben Goodliffe was replaced by Harry Phipps for Dagenham. Josh Granite then made his way into the book, again for a late tackle on Romain.

With 12 minutes to go, the Bluebirds made their first substituion, with Jacob Blyth replacing Jack Hindle to make his home league debut at the FBSS.

A quiet final ten minutes saw Kandi clip the bar for Dagenham, before disaster struck for Barrow in the final minute. Elliott Romain was given too much space on the edge of the area, the forward curling a shot into the far corner of the goal to hand the visitors all three points.

Full Time: Barrow 0-1 Dagenham & Redbridge