Report: Barrrow 1-3 AFC Fylde

The report from our defeat to AFC Fylde at the Furness Building Society Stadium.


Arnold, Makoma, Cook, Diarra, Macdonald, Jones, Holt, K.James, Waterston, L. James, Walters

Gomis, White, Bauress, Panayiotou, Diagne


Lynch, Montrose, Tunnicliffe, Bond, Hardy, Finley, Rowe, Muldoon, Grand, Smith, Burke

Taylor, Blinkhorn, Tademir, Jones, Lawlor

Barrow’s home jinx continued with a 1-3 loss that reflected three quick counter attacks rather than the balance of play overall on a mild evening at the Furness Building Society Stadium.

The Bluebirds had good periods of possession and more chances on goal- but could only convert one.

Dan Jones was back with his trademark long throws causing problems for Fylde, Jay Lynch punching away his first in the 4th minute and Kingsley James heading just over from another one ten minutes in. Just before the second of these, ex-Bluebird Simon Grand headed over from a Sam Finley corner.

Kingsley James then turned provider for Luke James to run into the area but he was thwarted by Lynch. 16 minutes in, at the other end, Steve Arnold first parried then collected a 20 yard shot from Finley. A minute later, we were back on the attack, Kingsley again feeding his namesake to put in a dangerous cross – with no-one to make the vital touch.

With Barrow now edging the game, Lewis Walkers won our first corner in the 24th minute. This was cleared and led to a swift breakaway, Jonny Smith being in acres of space to run towards our area and fire past Arnold.

Five minutes later Barrow gained a deserved equaliser. First, Luke James fired over another dangerous cross which was put out for a throw-in. Jones’ throw deep into the area was headed home by Nathan Waterston for his first Barrow goal.

The game then increased in pace even more with end to end play. Man of the match Kingsley James fed another good ball towards Lewis Walters who just failed to meet it in front of goal. Calum MacDonald had an opportunity with a 20 yard free kick in the 41st minute but fired over the bar.

Seconds later, Fylde were on the attack, Arnold parrying a close range shot from Smith for a corner. After more Fylde and Barrow corners the score remained level at the break.

Half Time: Barrow 1-1 AFC Fylde

Barrow started the second half brightly, a good build-up 5 minutes in by Holt, Kingsley James and Jones giving Luke James yet another goal-line cross. Our failure to take these opportunities was to prove costly as another unchallenged break gifted Danny Rowe a 54th minute goal.

From the restart, Jones fired from the half-way line to Fylde’s goal, Lynch just managing to punch the dipping ball over the bar. Four minutes later, a good ball forward by Jones found Waterston in the area who was tripped. The Barrow players’ calls for what looked like a clear penalty were waved away.

In the 64th minute an excellent ball across the field from Makoma resulted in a Walters cross – which was saved.

Tasdemir then replaced Muldoon for the visitors and another quick break by Rowe was abruptly halted by Ollie Cook right on the edge of the area. Fortunately, from this dangerous position, Rowe fired his free kick over the bar.

In the 70th minute, Barrow had another golden opportunity as Luke James fed Lewis Walters who fired from close range at Lynch rather than into the beckoning goal. Lynch punched the effort away for a corner, leading to another precise long Jones throw which was cleared off the line.

Changes were then made by both teams, Taylor replacing Hardy and White coming on for Waterston. Barrow had a scare in the 75th minute when Arnold came out of his goal towards the touchline to thwart a cross but was then stranded, the ball being desperately cleared by defenders.

Gomis then came on for Holt as we sought that elusive equaliser, Fylde replacing Smith with Lawlor. Another long Jones throw was punched away and as end of normal time approached, Panayiotou replaced Walters. We plugged away but then overstretched ourselves, yet another quick break giving substitute Serhat Tasdemir the opportunity to fire home in the fifth minute of added time, stunning Barrow fans and players alike.

Full Time: Barrow 1-3 AFC Fylde

Thanks to Derek for the report.