Match Report: Barrow 0-0 Ebbsfleet United

The match report from our home draw with Ebbsfleet United!

The Bluebirds continued their impressive form at the weekend, with a 0-0 draw against Ebbsfleet meaning it’s just 1 defeat in 14 league game for Ian Evatt and his side.

A good performance from the home side deserved three points, but a series of missed chances, disallowed goals and penalty shouts being turned away meant a point had to do at the Furness Building Society Stadium.

Barrow started well and had three chances in the opening ten minutes. John Rooney found space in the area but his strike/lob went just over the crossbar and onto the roof of the net.

Controversy followed for the second chance. Lewis Hardcastle played in Jack Barthram on the right, he squared it for Josh Kay who fired home. However, the linesmans flag was up against Barthram, though replays seem to show the full back in an on side position when the ball was played.

Kay then had a chance to open the scoring, he was found in space but Fleet keeper Ashmore saved with his feet from the young midfielder. Shortly afterwards the first yellow card of the game was shown to Jason Taylor after he caught Michael Cheek.

The Bluebirds thought they had a penalty with just under 25 minutes played. Lewis Hardcastle played the ball to Dior Angus who was tripped as he entered the area, the referee however deemed the foul to be outside of the area and a free-kick was awarded which came to nothing.

With 30 minutes played Jack Barthram received a yellow card but the resulting free-kick from Chris Bush near the left touchline ended up on the roof of the net.

Joel Dixon was called into action soon after, the first corner of the game went to Ebbsfleet and after a goalmouth scramble the Bluebirds shot stopper had to save from a close range Sam Magri effort.

With just over 5 minutes until half time there was a booking for each side as Michael Cheek fouled Dixon and Connor Brown was booked for his reaction to the incident.

Half Time: Barrow 0-0 Ebbsfleet United

The Bluebirds made an enforced change at the break as the injured Josh Kay was replaced by Jacob Blyth.

A quiet start to the second period was ended with just under an hour played as Corey Whiteley found himself in behind the Barrow defence, but he fired just wide of Dixon’s post.

The Bluebirds then had a second goal disallowed for offside. Dior Angus fired a shot at goal which was fumbled by Nathan Ashmore, allowing John Rooney to fire home. Unfortunately, the linesman had decided that Jacob Blyth was offside in the build up to the goal.

With 25 minutes to play, Luke Burgess replaced Dior Angus as the Bluebirds looked to find a way through a stubborn Ebbsfleet defence.

Jack Hindle then went on to be involved in two key moments as the game edged towards full time. A loose ball fell his way, but he could only shoot tamely at Ashmore, before the keeper spilled a long range shot from Hardcastle. Hindle raced towards the rebound and was seemingly fouled by the Fleet keeper as he raced to the ball, however the referee waved play on, much to the anger of Barrow players, management and fans.

There was still time for one last big chance for Barrow and it fell to substitute Burgess. Connor Brown made his way to the byline and crossed from the left hand side, the ball falling kindly to Burgess who could only volley his effort into the ground and just over the bar.

The full time whistle went soon after, the Bluebirds having to settle for a point against in form Ebbsfleet, though they will feel it should have been more.

Full Time:  Barrow 0-0 Ebbsfleet United



Dixon, Barthram, Jameson, Jones, Brown, Rooney, Taylor, Hardcastle, Kay, Hindle, Angus

Sloan, Molyneux, Jennings, Blyth, Burgess

Ebbsfleet United:

Ashmore, Wilson, Magri, King, Bush, Drury, Adams, Payne, Weston, Whitely, Cheek

Miles, Moncur, Omar, Kedwell


David Richardson