Match Report: Barrow 1-1 Gateshead

Our match report from the 1-1 draw with Gateshead.

Thanks to Derek for the report.


Arnold, Barthram, MacDonald, Diarra, Cook, K. James, Hall, Gomis, Holt, L. James, Jones

White, Bauress, Panayiotou, Diagne, Makoma


62′: White replaced Holt
67′: Panayiotou replaced Gomis
79′: Bauress replaced Jones



Montgomery, Vassell, Barrow, Fyfield, Peniket, Preston, McLaughlin, Fox, Williams, McNall, Greenwood

Hanford, York, Johnson, Burrow, Penn


39′: Penn replaced Fox (injured)
HT: Burrow replaced McNall
66′: Johnson replaced Greenwood


The home jinx struck again at the Furness Building Society Stadium as ten man Gateshead leveled in the 80th minute to cancel out Luke James’ 18th minute penalty. In a feisty, intense encounter, four Gateshead and three Barrow players were cautioned; Heed’s Fyfield received two resulting in his 54th minute dismissal.

Barrow dominated possession from the start but Gateshead were quick on the break, demanding continual concentration from Barrow’s defence. One such break five minutes in saw a long cross from the right forcing a full-stretch Arnold save from a Jordan Preston header.

Excellent interplay between Luke James and Grant Holt gave the latter an 11th minute chance on goal but his header hit the bar. Seven minutes later, James was felled in the area by Theo Vassell before picking himself up and precisely placing his spot kick inside the left post.

As Barrow continued to press, Jamal Fyfield received his first booking in the 22nd minute. Ten minutes from the end of the half, Ben Fox went down injured and had to be replaced by Russ Penn.

In the 42nd minute, captain Paddy McLaughlin receive a yellow for a challenge on Bedsente Gomis but Calum MacDonald’s free kick was blocked.

In the first minute of time added, Gateshead came close to equalising. First, Arnold parried a McLaughlin shot then a Williams throw into the area gave Preston a shot on goal. However, he drilled wide of the right post from close range.

Half Time: Barrow 1-0 Gateshead

After making a second change at half time, Jordan Burrow replacing Lewis McNall, Gateshead started the second period brightly, forcing Barrow into defence. Five minutes in Holt was booked and then McLaughlin headed over from a Scott Barrow cross.

However, in the 54th minute, Luke James broke quickly down the right wing and was brought down by Fyfield, dismissed for his second yellow. With a one man advantage and a goal lead, a home win looked on the cards. However, 10-man Gateshead seemed to prove as much, if not more of a handful, as before on breaks while still defending well. The pace and intensity of the game increased into a midfield battle with only the occasional chance on goal. On the hour, a good run down the wing and cross by Jones gave Asa Hall a shot which Montgomery saved easily.

White and Panayiotou then replaced Holt and Gomis, Gateshead’s Danny Johnson coming on for Greenwood. If any the changes appeared to disrupt Barrow’s flow and set pieces won were poorly executed. A good cross by Jones across the area in the 71st minute failed to find a poacher and three minutes later another Jones cross was placed wide from close range by Panayiotou.

Jones himself was then replaced by Bauress in the 79th minute. Seconds later, a sharp shot from Luke James was put out for a Bauress corner. A Gateshead break then saw them level as they cut through our defence, Jordan Preston firing past Arnold into the right side of the goal.

Although we mounted a series of build ups to try to regain the lead, we could not break through the Heed defence. In the 85th minute, a Kingsley James shot from 20 yards was saved.

In the second minute of time added, another incisive Gateshead break saw Preston cross to Johnson whose shot was parried by Arnold for a corner. For the final three minutes, further Barrow pressure and corners were easily dealt with as we had to be content with another frustrating home point.

Calum MacDonald was awarded Man of the Match for his commendable efforts. The whole team put in a good shift for much of the first hour, undaunted by a flurry of Gateshead challenges which went unpunished, but we paid the price for not making this count in front of goal.

Full Time: Barrow 1-1 Gateshead