Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

15 August 2020 Venue The Handmark Engineering Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Holker Old Boys
0 - 4
Barrow AFC
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Barrow Run Out Winners At Holker Old Boys

15 August 2020


First Half:

Dixon, J.Jones, Hird, Trialist, Taylor, Hardcastle, Trialist, Burns, Gribbin, Quigley, Hindle


Trialist, Trialist, Penfold, Trialist

Second Half:

Trialist, Brown, Trialist, Brough, Barry, Trialist, M.Jones, Beadling, Trialist, L.James, Penfold


Dixon, Burns, Trialist, Trialist

The Bluebirds returned to action this afternoon for the first time since March, recording a convincing victory over Holker Old Boys at Rakesmoor Lane.

In line with the latest advice from the Government and the FA, the game was played behind closed doors, with scorching hot weather providing a good test for both sides.

Barrow boss David Dunn named two different line ups for each half, with debuts handed to James Jones, Bobby Burns, Callum Gribbin and Mike Jones, with a second debut handed to Luke James.

Before the game began a minutes silence was held in memory of Holker physio Kelsie Smiler who very sadly passed away recently. Our thoughts are with all of her family and friends at such a difficult time.

The Bluebirds found themselves kicking up the slight slope in the pitch in the first half but they started brightly, Jack Hindle going close on six minutes when he placed a shot just wide of the post with Sam Stephens narrowing his angle in the Holker goal.

Stephens was called into action again twice in the next ten minutes, first saving a powerful low effort from a trialist, before holding a longe range effort from Scott Quigley.

Despite plenty of possession for Barrow, it was an uneventful next 15 minutes before the Bluebirds went as close as either side had gone with half an hour played. Jack Hindle latched onto a loose ball and curled a superb first time effort goal bound, unfortunately seeing his effort cannon off the cross bar.

The visitors were pushing further and further forward at this point and again we went close when a good move saw Hardcastle break forward, before finding Scott Quigley out wide but his low cross couldn't be flicked goal bound by Hindle.

With 37 minutes played the Bluebirds finally broke the deadlock and they did so in style. After Scott Quigley was fouled 25 yards out, Lewis Hardcastle stepped up and curled a superb free kick past Stephens and into the top corner.

Just a miniute later Barrow doubled their lead as Jack Hindle grabbed the first of his two goals. A trialist played a teasing cross into the area, finding Scott Quigley who headed the ball back across goal for Hindle to tap home ahead of a Holker defender.

A couple of minutes later he had his second, Quigley again involved as he took advantage of a slip at the back to take possession and find Gribbin, he in turn found Hindle who took over to slot the ball home.

Half Time: Holker Old Boys 0 - 3 Barrow

Any fears about the host of changes at the break for both sides disrupting the flow of the game were eased after just three minutes of the second half when Tommy Dawson found space on the edge of the area and forced our trialist goalkeeper into a low stop.

On 52 minutes the Bluebirds had a good spell, first a trialist played a good ball out wide to Brad Barry in space, he put in a low cross with the ball turned behind off a Holker defender for a corner. Minutes later a short corner resulted in a loose ball on the edge of the area, a Bluebirds trialist stepping up and curling a powerful low effort towards goal which was well saved.

The Bluebirds continued to have joy down the right hand side with Brad Barry again found in space with an hour played, he crossed again but his ball just evaded the outstretched foot of Luke James.

With the game heading towards the final ten minutes we pulled further ahead through Luke James. The forward closed down the goalkeeper who lost posession, allowing James to find the back of an unguarded goal.

Barrow continued to push and their final chance came with just under ten minutes left. A goal bound shot appeared to be handled in the area but the referee waved away penalty appeals, before the ball fell to Tom Beadling on the edge of the area with his powerful low effort going just wide.

All in all a fantastic first test for the Bluebirds, who will now go on to face Blackpool at Bloomfield Road on Tuesday.

We would like to say a big thank you to Holker Old Boys for their fantastic hospitality even in difficult circumstances, we wish them all the best for their season when it begins.

Full Time: Holker Old Boys 0 - 4 Barrow

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account