Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bluebirds Pegged Back By Orient

10 October 2020

A photo of Josh Kay celebrating Mark Fletcher (MI News & Sport)
Josh Kay celebrates his goal
Match Reports

Bluebirds Pegged Back By Orient

10 October 2020

Barrow were forced to settle for a third successive home league draw as ten-man Leyton Orient came from behind to snatch a share of the spoils at The Progression Solicitors Stadium.

The Bluebirds looked well set for a first League Two win of the campaign when the visitors were reduced to ten men inside ten minutes as Dan Happe saw red for pulling down Luke James and then Josh Kay rifled Dunn’s men in front seven minutes later. 

However, The O’s showed good spirit after the break and wrestled themselves back on level terms through Danny Johnson’s crisp finish and that saw them take a point back to the capital. 

David Dunn opted to make four changes from the team which lined-up at Carlisle seven days earlier; Scott Quigley was missing through injury so Luke James came in to the side, while Chris Taylor and Yoan Zouma made league debuts for the Club and Josh Kay was handed his first league start of the campaign. 

Orient started the brighter of the two teams and could have taken an early lead when Johnson let fly with a poweful volley from just inside the box but Joel Dixon did well to tip it over the bar. 

However, the game changed on nine minutes when Luke James was pulled down as he chased through on goal and referee Andy Haines had no option but to show a red card to Orient defender Dan Happe. 

It could have been even worse for the visitors had keeper Lawrence Vigouroux not superbly saved Tom Beadling’s effort from the resultant free-kick. 

The O’s attempted to reshuffle by sacrificing James Dayton and bringing on an extra defender in Joe Widdowson but Barrow got on top and almost hit the front when Mike Jones stung a drive just over the bar. 

The goal arrived on 16 minutes when some lovely build-up play saw the ball worked from right to left and in to the feet of Kay, who jinked inside to find some space and rifled an unstoppable shot in to the bottom left-hand corner of the net. 

Orient then sat men behind the ball and looked to play on the break, making it difficult for Dunn’s men who were enjoying the lion’s share of possession. 

The Bluebirds put some pressure on as half time approached, Kay again causing problems for the Orient defence down the left but his testing cross was headed behind. From the corner, Chris Taylor’s low drive was blocked and Patrick Brough was also denied by a defender from the follow-up. 

Lewis Hardcastle attempted to catch O’s keeper Vigouroux out with a speculative curling shot from distance but it flashed just wide of the post much to the visitors’ relief. 

The O’s came out on the front foot at the start of the second period and could have levelled from a deep corner but Josh Coulson could only head wastefully in to the side netting. 

However, Orient pulled themselves level seven minutes after the restart, Barrow conceding possession just inside their own half and allowing Johnson to be fed through on goal and the front man made no mistake with a powerful finish across Dixon and in to the bottom corner. 

The Bluebirds recovered from the setback and looked to get back on the front foot and could have restored their lead when James scampered in to space on the right but Dior Angus couldn’t apply the finish to his low cross in to the box. 

Chris Taylor then almost crowned his league debut with a wonderful goal on the turn but his low shot was excellently pushed round the post by Vigouroux before Yoan Zouma volleyed over from the resultant corner. 

Kay saw an effort fly too high after cutting inside from the left and some good defending prevented Angus from getting a clean shot on goal after good from Chris Taylor and Brough in the build-up. 

Brough then had to be alert with his defending as Conor Wilkinson charged clean through on goal and only a last-ditch challenge from the Bluebirds man prevented him from getting a shot off. 

Barrow had two great chances to snatch the win in injury time; first James lashed a vicious drive off the top of the post before then turning provider by scooping a cross to the back post for Kay but he somehow headed over from close range. 

Full Time: Barrow 1 Leyton Orient 1 

Barrow: Dixon, Barry, Zouma, Beadling, Brough, Kay, M Jones (Biggins 78), Hardcastle, C Taylor, James, Angus. 
Subs not used: Lillis, Brown, Hird, J Taylor, Hindle. 

Booked: Hardcastle, Kay, Beadling, Angus. 

Leyton Orient: Vigouroux, Ling (Akinola 66), Cisse, Happe, Coulson, Clay, Wilkinson, Dayton (Widdowson 15), Brophy, Dennis (McAnuff 66), Johnson. 
Subs not used: Sargeant, Maguire-Drew, Kyprianou, Wright. 

Booked: Ling, Johnson, Cisse, Dennis, McAnuff, Wilkinson. 

Sent-off: Happe. 

Referee: Andy Haines 

Attendance: Behind Closed Doors 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account