Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Late Goal Denies Barrow Victory

12 September 2020

A photograph of Barrow Mark Fletcher (MI News & Sport)
Dior Angus celebrates after scoring a penalty against Stevenage in September 2020
Match Reports

Late Goal Denies Barrow Victory

12 September 2020

Barrow were forced to settle for a point on their return to the Football League as Dior Angus’ early penalty was cancelled out by Inih Effiong’s late spot kick for Stevenage.

The Bluebirds looked on course to record a perfect return to the big time after leading from 11 minutes in but there was a sting in the tail as the visitors grabbed their leveller five minutes from time.

David Dunn was boosted by the timely return of Brad Barry from injury, while Tom Beadling, James Jones, Mike Jones and Kgose Ntlhe were handed their league debuts for the Club.

Barrow were first to show their teeth as a lightning fast counter-attack sent Lewis Hardcastle away down the right but his low ball across the six-yard box was just too far in front of Dior Angus and the danger evaporated.

It took just 11 minutes for The Bluebirds to open their account back in the big time as the returning Brad Barry was felled in the box and Dior Angus sent keeper Jamie Cumming the wrong way from the penalty spot.

The visitors responded quite positively and began to put some pressure on the Barrow backline but some determined defending frustrated the Boro forwards.

The Bluebirds could have doubled their lead when a corner from the right was whipped in to the middle of the area but Barry’s header flashed wide of the far post.

More good work from the industrious Hardcastle down the right flank created a moment on panic in the Stevenage area but his testing cross was headed away on the stretch by a defender.

Elliot List then got on the end of a ball in towards the front post for the visitors but he couldn’t direct his header on goal and it dropped harmlessly wide.

Barrow started the second half with more composure on the ball and could have been 2-0 up after some lovely build-up saw the ball laid back to Mike Jones 20 yards from goal and his well-struck drive was tipped over the bar brilliantly by Stevenage keeper Cumming

James Jones saw a low drive held by the keeper and then Tom Beadling came even closer when substitute Luke James cleverly rolled the ball in to his path but his venomous strike was superbly finger-tipped over by Cumming.

Barrow were well on top in the second half and Cumming was called upon again when James got away down the right to cross for Angus who saw his shot turned round the post.

From the resultant corner, Kgose Ntlhe got up highest and met the ball with a firm header only to see it crash back off the post and Stevenage were able to clear.

Stevenage had an opportunity to level on 77 minutes when a free kick was swung in to the back post but Luke Prosser wastefully headed his effort over the bar.

With five minutes left Romeao Hutton was clipped in the area and the referee pointed to the penalty spot once again; former Bluebirds loan man Inih Effiong stepped up and coolly rolled the visitors level from twelve yards.

Full Time: Barrow 1 Stevenage 1

Barrow: Dixon, Brown (Wilson 83), Hird, M Jones, Hardcastle, J Jones, Beadling (Biggins 73), Angus, Hindle (James 57), Ntlhe, Barry.
Subs not used: Lillis, Taylor, Gribbin.

Booked: Beadling.

Stevenage: Cumming, Wildin, Vincelot (Read 59), Cuthbert, Prosser, Osborne, Marsh (Effiong 64), Newton, Hutton, List, Smith.
Subs not used: Johnson, Vancooten, Akinwande, Dinanga, Marshall.

Booked: Newton.

Referee: Scott Oldham.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account