Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Another Late Goal Defeats Bluebirds

2 March 2021

A photograph of Ollie Banks Mark Fletcher (MI News & Sport)
Ollie Banks in action against Harrogate Town
Match Reports

Another Late Goal Defeats Bluebirds

2 March 2021

Jack Muldoon came off the bench to fire the only goal of the game six minutes from time as Barrow were beaten by Harrogate Town at The Progression Solicitors Stadium.

A high-energy encounter looked to be heading towards stalemate in the Cumbria mist before Muldoon found room in behind and a clinical finish to decide the game in Town’s favour.

The first half began at a furious tempo with both sides chasing and harassing their opposite, which meant for a frantic opening period during which chances were at a premium.

Scott Quigley had the whiff of an opening after Barrow put together the best move of the game down the right but Neal Eardley’s teasing cross found the front man just offside at the front post.

Joel Dixon had a bit of a let-off on 15 minutes as he went to clear the ball only to see it charged down by the busy Town front man Josh March but thankfully it dropped wide of the target.

Quigley then seized on a sloppy pass at the back from the visitors to get in on the right side of the area but his low drive was well saved by keeper James Belshaw.

Town responded with an opportunity of their own at the other end as Josh McPake cut in dangerously from the left to a drive a testing effort on goal which Dixon did well to parry away.

Barrow started the second half positively and could have gone in front four minutes after the restart when Kgose Ntlhe did well to keep the ball alive inside the Town area but Quigley’s powerful drive was blocked by the keeper at his front post.

There was another scare for The Bluebirds moments later as Dixon’s clearance was intercepted and worked back inside the box for March but his shot was saved by the Barrow keeper.

Quigley took possession from a throw-in on the right to turn and fire on goal but couldn’t keep his shot down as it rose just over the bar.

The introduction of Jamie Devitt and Chris Taylor gave Barrow a further lift and they almost went in front when good play gave Luke James a sight of goal but he couldn’t generate enough power to trouble Belshaw.

The game remained high tempo but developed in to a scrappy affair as it headed towards the closing stages and it looked as though the points would be shared.

However, on 84 minutes Barrow were caught on the break by their visitors and substitute Jack Muldoon scampered clear from the halfway line and then slotted a confident finish low across Dixon and into the bottom corner of the net.

The Bluebirds had a half chance to snatch a leveller when good football from Devitt and Chris Taylor presented Quigley with a shooting opportunity, but he fired wide under pressure.

Full Time: Barrow 0 Harrogate Town 1

Barrow: Dixon, Eardley, J Jones, Thomas, Brough, Ntlhe (Devitt 59), Barry (Ndjoli 91), J Taylor, Banks (C Taylor 59), Quigley, James.
Subs not used: Lillis, Donohue, Goodridge.

Booked: Brough.

Harrogate Town: Belshaw, Fallowfield, Jones, Smith, Burrell, Thomson, Beck (Martin 63), Kerry (Falkingham 63), March (Muldoon 63), McPake, Power.
Subs not used: Minter, Lawlor, Francis.

Booked: Kerry, Smith.

Referee: Robert Lewis

Attendance: Behind Closed Doors

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account