Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

We've Met Before: Leicester City

9 November 2021

A photograph of the 1968/69 Leicester City squad ANL/Shutterstock
The Leicester City squad line-up for a photo in 1968
Club News

We've Met Before: Leicester City

9 November 2021

We take a look back on the only other time that a Leicester City team have visited Barrow as we prepare to host The Foxes' Under-21s in the Papa John's Trophy tonight.

This evening will be the second visit of a Leicester City side for a competitive game in Barrow. Older fans might just remember the game back in 1968 – Phil Yelland takes up the story…

Barrow 1 Leicester City 2
FA Cup Third Round
Saturday 27th January 1968

For the second year in succession Barrow entertained top flight opposition in the FA Cup Third Round at Holker Street, with Leicester City the visitors.

Barrow Player Manager Colin Appleton had skippered City in the 1963 FA Cup Final, but he was ruled out of the game through injury.

Seven days earlier Barrow had lost 1-0 at home in Division Three to Mansfield Town and the boss made one change to the side, with former Newcastle United midfielder Ron McGarry recalled in place of striker Tony Field.

Barrow had reached this stage by defeating Division Three rivals Oldham Athletic 2-0 at Holker Street and Cheshire League Altrincham 2-1 at Moss Lane. The Bluebirds included another former Leicester player in midfield, Peter Bebbington.

The visitors were in good form having won their last three league games – away at Sunderland and Fulham and at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers. They included highly rated teenage goalkeeper Peter Shilton but were without former Charlton Athletic winger Len Glover through injury. He was replaced by Bobby Svarc, who was to have a spell on loan at Barrow in the 1970/71 season, by which time he was with Lincoln City.

Barrow fell behind to a freak goal in just the second minute. There seemed to be little danger as visiting forward Frank Large tried to find Dave Gibson out wide. Brian Arrowsmith moved to intercept the pass and, from well outside the box, he only succeeded in slicing it high beyond his own goalkeeper, Fred Else, and into the net.

Appleton’s men responded positively, and City’s John Sjoberg almost put through his own goal when under pressure from Roy McCarthy, but Shilton was able to save the effort.

Barrow continued to press forward and Jim Mulholland and Eric Harrison both saw Shilton save their efforts on goal comfortably. At the other end, Malcolm Edwards did well to intercept a Peter Rodrigues cross at the expense of a corner before Else did well to save from David Cross and Mike Stringfellow.

Just past the half hour, Barrow almost equalised when Shilton failed to hold a shot from Dave Storf but the young keeper recovered before Mulholland was able to touch the ball home. Shilton then also misjudged a McGarry cross but was able to touch the ball over the bar.

As the interval approached, City might have extended their lead. Svarc saw his shot well blocked by Else and then the home keeper did well to punch a cross from David Nish clear.

Barrow had been unlucky to go in behind at half time but, nine minutes into the second half, they conceded a second goal. Arrowsmith had given away a corner under pressure from Large and Gibson swung in the flag kick for Sjoberg, who got there before Else to steer it home.

Whilst City enjoyed the majority of possession, Barrow were not out of the game, but they found themselves under pressure, and Else saved well from Large and Stringfellow.

With 13 minutes remaining, Barrow pulled a goal back. Substitute Terry McDonald took a corner on the right and Storf got clear of his marker around the penalty spot to drive the ball home.

The Bluebirds then pushed for an equaliser. Storf saw a shot beat Shilton and drift wide before McGarry drove over from distance.

With five minutes remaining, Barrow really should have levelled when Shilton struggled to claim a chip form Mulholland. The ball fell to Harrison who turned it back to McGarry, but he was crowded out and Leicester survived.

City held on to win but the Barrow players received a standing ovation for their efforts at full time. They had deserved a replay.

City were to win a Fourth Round home replay against Rotherham United before losing 3-1 to Everton in Round Five at Goodison Park.

Barrow: Else, Mallon, Arrowsmith, Harrison, Edwards, McCarthy (McDonald 65), McGarry, Hartland, Bebbington, Storf, Mulholland.

Leicester City: Shilton, Bell, Sjoberg, Roberts, Rodrigues, Gibson, Nish, Stringfellow, Large, Cross, Svarc.
Sub not used: Woollett.

Referee: P Bladwin (Thornton Cleveleys)

Attendance: 16,605

Click here for information on buying tickets for this evening's game.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account