Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Carlisle United 0 Barrow 0

13 November 2021

A photograph of Barrow Will Matthews (MI News & Sport)
Barrow's Jordan Stevens in action against Carlisle United
Match Reports

Report: Carlisle United 0 Barrow 0

13 November 2021

The Cumbrian derby honours were shared as Barrow were held to a goalless draw in front of a bumper crowd at Brunton Park.

Over 7,000, including 1,629 travelling Bluebirds, crammed in to watch the first competitive meeting in front of a crowd between the two foes since the 1960s.

However, the game rarely showed signs of developing into a classic and in the end the two teams were happy enough to take a point apiece.

The hosts got on the front foot immediately from kick-off and some hesitation at the back from Barrow allowed Zach Clough the time to send a curling effort on goal which was well saved by Paul Farman to his right.

It was a start The Cumbrians built upon, and Mark Cooper’s men struggled to get their passing game going during a frenetic opening to the derby contest.

However, despite Carlisle enjoying much of the possession, they weren’t making too many inroads on the Barrow goal, Callum Guy coming closest with a volley from the edge of the area which flashed wide.

The Bluebirds sprung into action on 19 minutes with the best move of the game as a brilliant backheel from Jordan Stevens set Connor Brown away down the right and he picked out Ollie Banks on the edge of the box, but his first-time strike was well over the bar.

Matt Platt then came close to opening the scoring when he got on the end of a wicked Joe Grayson delivery from a right-wing corner, but it dropped wide of the far post.

Moments later, Josh Gordon should probably have made it 1-0 when he was picked out brilliantly by a Brown cross from the right, but the front man didn’t get enough on his header and it went wide at the back post.

The biggest opportunity arrived just after the half hour when a long ball through the middle of the Carlisle defence sent Offrande Zanzala clean through, but he prodded a shot wide with the goal gaping.

Barrow began the second half positively and came close to opening the scoring when Robbie Gotts whipped a free kick in from the left which was met by Patrick Brough, but he just got too much on it and his header landed on the roof of the net.

In truth though, the second half did not offer up much in the way of goalmouth action, though Platt did come close with another header just over from a Grayson delivery.

Carlisle substitute Brennan Dickenson tried his luck from long-range after peeling inside from the right, but the powerful drive was not accurate enough to trouble Farman.

The hosts could have nicked a scruffy winner four minutes from time when a ball into the area dropped for Rod McDonald, but he lashed an effort off the underside of the cross bar and substitute Lewis Alessandra could not force home the rebound.

Full Time: Carlisle United 0 Barrow 0

Carlisle United: Howard, Mellor, Armer, McDonald, Guy, Clough (Dickenson 31), Mellish, Abrahams (Fishburn 72), Whelan, Gibson (Charters 86), Young (Alessandra 72).
Subs not used: Simons, Devine, Feeney.

Booked: Guy.

Barrow: Farman, Brown (Hutton 80), Platt, Grayson, Brough, J Jones, Banks, Gotts, Stevens, Zanzala (James 86), Gordon (Kay 61).
Subs not used: Lillis, Ellis, Taylor.

Booked: Gordon, Stevens, Brough.

Referee: Lewis Smith

Attendance: 7,470 (1,629 Barrow)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account