Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stevens Screamer Secures A Point For Barrow

Match Report: Salford City 1-1 Barrow

26 December 2022

Match Reports

Stevens Screamer Secures A Point For Barrow

Match Report: Salford City 1-1 Barrow

26 December 2022

Jordan Stevens' 80th minute strike ensured a well earned point for The Bluebirds at the Peninsula Stadium on Boxing Day.

That effort from the former Leeds United man ensured that Barrow departed Greater Manchester with a point, with Stevens' wonderstrike cancelling out Matt Smith’s first-half headed effort. 

A positive opening few minutes for Pete Wild’s side saw Josh Gordon get above Salford Keeper Tom King, who scrambled to keep the ball out, and just about did enough on the line to push it out. It was the closest either side had come to open the lead in the opening 10 minutes. 

In the 17th minute, Salford won a free kick on the edge of the Barrow area, whipped at Josh Lillis’s goal and just inches wide by Elliot Watt to the jeers of Barrow fans behind the goal. 

25 minutes into the fixture, the hosts took the lead through Matt Smith, whose precise headed effort at the back post found its way beyond the reach of Josh Lillis, after Elliot Watt delivered a pinpoint diagonal ball into the area.

Sam Foley almost brought The Bluebirds level straight from the restart, after he struck a thunderous shot from 40 yards. Only the bar was in the way of an instant reply from Barrow.

37 minutes, in Callum Henry received a straight red from referee Thomas Parsons after he committed an attrocious two-footed lunge on Tom White by the corner flag inside Barrow’s half.

With just a couple of minutes to go before the half time whistle, Barrow’s quick counterattack from a Salford corner fell at the feet of Ben Whitfield who steadied himself and unleashed a shot at Tom King who saved well down the centre of the goal. Barrow continued on the charge, and a corner whipped low fell at the feet of Patrick Brough who shot narrowly missed over Tom King’s bar.

At the opening of the second half, Salford attacked down the left-hand side with Conor McAleny who charged into the Barrow box but was well recovered by Tyrell Warren and put out for a corner kick.

58 minutes on the clock, Luke Bolton fouled Josh Gordon on the edge of the Salford box resulting in a yellow card for the Ammies, Ben Whitfield stood over the free kick and whipped it back post but well dealt with from Salford.

In the 71st minute, Barrow stormed forward looking for the decisive goal to level the game, Patrick Brough was brought down inside the box following his cross, not enough contact for a penalty is the ball trickled out for a corner to the visitors.

With 77 minutes on the clock, a concession of headers into the box eventually fell to Billy Waters who struck on the volley but couldn’t quite do enough to challenge Tom King’s goal.

With just 10 minutes to go Barrow grabbed that well deserved leveller: Jordan Stevens striking on the half volley from 30 yards out rocketing into the top right of Tom King’s goal. A Christmas cracker sent the away fans jubilant behind the goal.

In the 84th minute, Harrison Neal unleashed a strike just over the bar, inches away from giving Bluebirds the lead, As Barrow continued to pile the pressure on Salford.

Seconds remained on the referee's watch, when Salford won a free kick on the edge of the area. The set piece was passed to Ibou Touray on the edge of the area, with his shot rattling off the bar bouncing back out off on the line, the home players adamant that it did indeed cross the line.

Full Time: Salford City 1-1 Barrow
Attendance: 2,881 (680 Away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account