Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report: Grimsby vs Barrow

19 April 2023

Match Reports

Match Report: Grimsby vs Barrow

19 April 2023

The Bluebirds fell to a narrow defeat at Blundell Park on Tuesday night, despite having the better of the chances in Lincolnshire.

Barrow made a good start and Ben Whitfield saw his deflected shot saved by Max Crocombe in the opening five minutes.

The home side then had their first chance of the evening and it was a good one too, Otis Khan was played through on goal and Paul Farman had to be at his best to tip it around the post with his outstretched foot.

With 11 minutes played the Bluebirds had another chance, when Niall Canavan’s perfectly weighted diagonal pass was met by Jake Young, but he couldn’t direct his effort on target.

The game then saw both sides largely cancel each other out, though the visitors had the better of possession and could have gone ahead on a couple of occasions before half time.

After Ben Whitfield’s cross just evaded Niall Canavan, Barrow had their best chance of the half on 38 minutes. Good play around the area saw the ball fall to Jake Young, and his volley forced Crocombe into a superb diving save as he tipped the ball around the left hand post.

Just before the break Robbie Gotts broke free down the right hand side, playing a dangerous ball across the box though a Grimsby defender beat Josh Kay to the ball to turn it behind for a corner.

Half Time: Grimsby Town 0-0 Barrow

The second half almost got off to the perfect for the Bluebirds when a corner from the left was met by Tyrell Warren, the defender seeing his header cannon back off the crossbar and cleared.

Just minutes later Barrow had another superb chance through Niall Canavan, another cross from the left finding him in space in the centre of the box but Crocombe was equal to his close range effort.

With an hour played the Bluebirds had the ball in the net when Jake Young tapped in from close range, but unfortunately the linesman had his flag raised and it was ruled out for offside.

On 63 minutes Paul Farman was again called into action, it was Khan who found himself in on goal and the Barrow shot stopper made himself big to deny him one on one.

With both managers looking for a winner they each made several changes and unfortunately for the Bluebirds it was a Grimsby sub who got the games only goal with 77 minutes played. Danilo Orsi gained possession in the area and worked a yard of space before curling an effort past Farman to give the home side the lead.

With the introduction of Patrick Brough after the goal, Pete Wilds side pushed for an equaliser with some dangerous crosses from the left hand side, but they couldn’t fashion anymore real chances and were ultimately made to pay for missed chances earlier in the game.

Full Time: Grimsby Town 1-0 Barrow

Grimsby: Crocombe, Glennon (Amos 63’), Green, Emmanuel, Lloyd (Waterfall 86’), McAtee (Orsi 70’), Khan, Clifton (O’Neil 63’), Smith, Khouri (Holohan 70’), Maher

Subs Not Used: Morris, Hunt

Goals: Orsi (77’)

Yellow Cards: Emmanuel (72’)


Barrow: Farman, McClelland, Canavan, Kay (Garner 73’), Neal, Gotts (White 61’), Foley, Warren (Newby 78’), Ray, Young (Gordon 78’), Whitfield (Brough 77’)

Subs Not Used: Lillis

Yellow Cards: Young (2’), Gotts (26’)


Referee: Lewis Smith


Attendance: 4902 (76 Barrow)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account