Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 2-1 Sutton United

12 August 2023

Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 2-1 Sutton United

12 August 2023

Debutant Jamie Proctor netted 82nd-minute winner as Barrow came from behind to beat ten-man Sutton United.

Lee Angol opened the scoring for Sutton, despite the away side being a man down following a shocking stamp by Harry Smith. The Bluebirds fashioned a number of key opportunities before two goals in three minutes from Emile Acquah and Proctor to secure a vital three points.

Pete Wild made five changes to the side that were narrowly defeated at Bolton Wanderers in midweek. Courtney Duffus, Robbie Gotts, Sam Foley, Tyrell Warren, and Junior Tiensia were replaced by David Worrall, Elliot Newby, Kian Spence, Ged Garner, and Emile Acquah.

Barrow began the contest on top by applying pressure from a succession of corners. The best of Dean Campbell’s deliveries was headed over by Acquah early on.

Following a positive start, the Bluebirds were handed a significant advantage. Sutton striker Smith was shown a straight red card following an off-ball altercation with Tom White. The referee dismissed the 28-year-old after a short deliberation with the fourth official.

Looking to make the most of their man advantage, the hosts fashioned a chance from the sideline. Rory Feely launched a trademark long throw into the box, the ball was cleared as far as White who sliced wide.

Barrow was at it again shortly after the half-hour mark. This time, Ged Garner rattled the post with the follow-up falling to Tom White who had his effort blocked.

Despite the dominance, it was the visitors who broke the deadlock courtesy of Lee Angol, who slotted a rebound beyond Paul Farman.

Shortly before the break, Campbell came close to leveling the contest. He fired two shots in quick succession, but both were well-defended by the Sutton backline, who blocked well both times.

The Bluebirds then started the second period brightly. Within two minutes, a short corner arrived at the feet of Campbell, who whipped a cross to Garner, but the 24-year-old headed just over the crossbar.

The scouse striker caused problems once more, volleying towards goal on this occasion. Substitute Tiensia threaded a fantastic ball through, but Garner fired just over on the volley.

With ten minutes to play, the deserved equaliser finally came! Emile Acquah made the most of his home debut, turning his man before rifling home from a tight angle. Foley’s pass into the forward was excellent, and his introduction proved to be a masterstroke.

One very quickly became two, with Foley providing once more. Another debut goal arrived, this time from Jamie Proctor. All the striker had to do was poke the ball home, and he made no mistake from around 10 yards.

A quiet end to proceedings saw Barrow continue their perfect start to the new campaign.

There is another busy week ahead for Pete Wild’s side. The first of two away outings takes place at the Wham Stadium, where they will face newly relegated Accrington Stanley. The second is a tricky trip to Stockport County next weekend.

Barrow lineup: Farman; Worrall, Feely, Ray (Tiensia, 56), Canavan, Newby (Warren, 71); Spence, White (Proctor, 56), Campbell (Foley, 71); Garner, Acquah (Duffus, 84).


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account