Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Crewe Alexandra 1-3 Barrow AFC

23 December 2023

Club News

Match Report: Crewe Alexandra 1-3 Barrow AFC

23 December 2023

Barrow secured a seventh successive league victory after most recently dispatching Crewe Alexandra 3-1 at the Mornflake Stadium.

It was Barrow who got the game underway in the first half, with Ged Garner kicking us off and only two minutes later Barrow produced the first chance of the game when David Worrall whipped a ball into the box which was headed over by Ben Whitfield.

After an uneventful opening period to the game, Barrow scored the first goal of the game when Worrall crossed the ball into Whitfield, who got away from the Crewe defender, to shoot the first time and put the Bluebirds 1-0 up.

The best chance for Crewe in the opening half came when Aaron Rowe crossed the ball into the box from a corner which seemed destined to find the back of the net, but Paul Farman showed sensational reactions to dive low and push the ball away.

The last chance for Crewe came in the 45th minute, when Shilow Tracey looped the ball over the Barrow defence and it fell to a Crewe attacker at the back post, but Farman rushed out his goal to retrieve the ball and calmed things down for the Bluebirds.

The last chance of the first half fell to Barrow in stoppage time, when Newby crossed the ball onto the head of Garner, whose attempt was inches away from making it 2-0 to the Cumbrian side.

After a first half that saw both sides create multiple chances, the Bluebirds went into halftime with a 1-0 lead, after Whitfield scored with an emphatic finish from a looping Worrall cross.

Just after half-time, Kian Spence surged through the Crewe midfield and took a shot from distance, which resulted in a corner to Wild’s side. The ball was crossed into George Ray, who was fouled, and a penalty was given to Barrow.

Garner stepped up in the 50th minute and smashed it into the bottom right corner, putting the Bluebirds 2-0 up.

Crewe began to get on top of the game, with their first chance in the second half coming in the 58th minute, when Elliott Nevitt got on the end of an in-swinging corner from his teammate.

His header glanced past the hand of Farman, into the top left corner, bringing the home side back into the game to make it 1-2.

Wild’s men soaked up pressure from the Crewe attack but stood firm with the next chance coming in the 75th minute, Robbie Gotts crossed the ball in from the right wing following a quick throw-in and Whitfield headed it into the far corner to make it 1-3.

The last chance of the game came in the second-half stoppage time when Crewe took a shot from a distance, but the shot was way over the bar.

After a game that featured chances for both sides, the gaffer’s Bluebirds stood firm and showed the quality to come out 1-3 winners. This takes Barrow’s win streak to a total of seven games in a row. Putting them six points behind first-placed Stockport County, going into their fixture on Boxing Day.

Barrow XI: Farman, Ray, Canavan ©, Worrall, Spence (Gotts 60’), Garner (Acquah 68’), Newby, White (Campbell 69’), Foley, Chester, Whitfield (Feely 79’)

Words by Dylan Whitbread

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account