Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barrow Complete Double Over County

25 February 2023

Match Reports

Barrow Complete Double Over County

25 February 2023

Barrow defeated high-flying Stockport County at the SO Legal Stadium after Josh Kay’s second goal in two weeks, following another well-placed pass from Ged Garner.

An open 10 minutes, saw minimal chances on both sides, Ged Garner had the best opportunity, where he saw a low-driven shot deflected narrowly wide of the target in the fifth minute.

Stockport came the closest to opening the scoring in the 25th minute, as Chris Hussey whipped his free kick from a dangerous area against the bar, following Ryan Croasdale’s shot from point-blank range, with Ollie Yates adjudging that it hit Robbie Gotts’ hand.

Just past the half hour mark, Stockport launched forward once again. Chris Hussey’s ball in from the left-hand side found Callum Camps, who shot into the ground, bouncing just wide of Paul Farman’s goal.

Two quickfire chances for Barrow in the opening of the second half, the first saw Niall Canavan’s shot blocked, falling to Elliot Newby just outside the box, his effort going just wide of the goal.

Only moments later, Robbie Gotts intercepted the ball, playing a through ball to Ged Garner, with the Barrow striker's shot at goal well saved by Ben Hinchliffe.  

Josh Kay was looking to add to his goal last weekend against Bradford City in the 55th minute. A deflected shot from Robbie Gotts found Kay at the back post, and he went for the acrobatic, making contact but wide of Hinchliffe’s goal.

Only 3 minutes later, Robbie Gotts whipped a corner finding George Ray at the front post, he flicked onto Sam McClelland, heading just over the bar, as Pete Wild’s side continued to strive to break the stalemate.

It wasn’t all one-way traffic in the second period as Stockport County had a couple of opportunities in quick succession, just past the hour mark; a brilliant interception from Sam McClelland stopped Myles Hippolyte in front Paul Farman’s goal.

Two minutes later Niall Canavan stood strong, forcing Issac Olaofe to drift wide, denying a clear angle to strike cleanly at goal.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 69th minute, as Josh Kay’s sixth goal of the season gave Barrow the lead. Ged Garner and Kay connected for the second week running, with Garner sliding in a brilliant pass after a tidy run at Stockport’s defence. Kay took one touch and dispatched brilliantly, drilling his shot past Ben Hinchliffe.  

Stockport registered their only shot on target with just 2 minutes left of normal time. Aaron Rowe had a tame effort on the edge of the area, which was comfortably saved by Paul Farman.

Barrow saw out stoppage time with little panic, securing back-to-back wins for the first time since October and cutting the gap to the playoff places to five points.

Full Time: Barrow 1-0 Stockport County
Attendance: 4,164 (625 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account