Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FC United Of Manchester 0-2 Barrow AFC

8 July 2023

Club News

FC United Of Manchester 0-2 Barrow AFC

8 July 2023

Bluebirds ran out 2-0 winners in our first fixture of the season thanks to two great late second-half strikes from Tyrell Warren.

Pete Wild opted for a completely different line-up for each half of the Bluebirds’ first fixture of the new season.

The first XI started the game very lively and were unfortunate not to be leading in the 12th minute when Rory Feeley’s long throw was flicked onto the back post where Ged Garner curled his volley towards goal, but Pat Boyle made a sensational stop and pushed the ball away from danger.

Feely’s cannon of a long throw caused more problems only a minute later when Jamie Proctor flicked the ball wide from close range.

Barrow continued to dominate the early stages of the game, simply not letting FC United take the ball out of their own half.

In the 21st minute, Tom White stole the ball on halfway, where Garner pitched possession before driving into the area before laying the ball off for Whitfield whose effort was well blocked by Luke Griffiths.

FC United arguably had the best chance of the opening period in the 27th minute when Elliot Morris quickly recovered after taking a tumble in the area to lay the ball off for Jay Fitzmartin, who blazed his shot over from close range.

After a lively opening 25 minutes, chances seemed to dry up for the rest of the half. However, Garner nearly produced a moment of magic in the 39th minute when his freekick from the edge of the area rattled the crossbar.

Pete Wild opted for a different eleven in the second period allowing more players to get minutes in the tank and the second-half side started their side of the match very positively.

In the 49th minute, Elliot Newby played a quick freekick on the left wing, before firing in a low cross into the area where Courtney Duffus’ volley needed tipping over by Boyle.

Barrow continued to create chances in the early period of the second half. Arguably the best chance of this spell fell to Sam Foley in the 51st minute when he blazed a shot over from close range after a great pass from Trialist D.

Boyle continued to make a series of fine stops throughout the second period but was eventually beaten in the 78th minute when Tyrell Warren fiercely fired home a volley at the back post.

Warren bagged his second of the day four minutes from time when Foley teed the ball off to the full-back on the edge of the area, but in the end Warren just placed the ball straight into the bottom corner with expert precision. 


FIRST HALF XI: Farman, Ray, Tiensia, Feely, Worrall, Whitfield, White, Trialist A, SPENCE, PROCTOR ©, Garner.


SECOND HALF XI- Lillis, Trialist C, Canavan ©, Ogungbo, Warren, Newby, Foley, Trialist D, Campbell, Bennett, Duffus.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account