Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Barrow Beaten At Harrogate

18 March 2023

Match Reports

Barrow Beaten At Harrogate

18 March 2023

Barrow were narrowly defeated in North Yorkshire after an action-packed contest. Substitute Matty Daly scored the only goal of the game for the home side from Josh Falkingham's quick free kick.

Inside the first 10 minutes, there were chances for either side, Barrow came close after Rory Feely's long throw into the box was headed out only as far as Jake Young on the edge of the area, his strike going over Mark Oxley’s goal.

Following this, Harrogate had an opportunity of their own when Levi Sutton picked up the ball 40 yards out, with the ball eventually sent out to Danny Grant who shot straight down the middle of Paul Farman’s goal from a wide angle.

Levi Sutton struck a brilliant effort for the home side in the 15th minute, only the bar denying him from opening the scoring from 25 yards out after the ball was well carried forward by Matty Foulds.  

Barrow won a free kick in the 27th minute after Ged Garner was fouled by Josh Falkingham 25 yards out. Ben Whitfield stepped up to take the free kick, with his strike to the right of Mark Oxley’s goal but well saved.

The Bluebirds managed to recycle from the rebound with George Ray picking up the ball, and playing it out to Ged Garner who found Robbie Gotts in the right corner, he delivered a ball that was deflected out for a corner.

Darting down the right-hand side in the 37th minute, Robbie Gotts delivered a ball to the back post, finding Ben Whitfield who made contact with the cross, but George Thomson did enough to deny the Barrow forward a clear chance of delivering the opening goal of the game for Pete Wild’s side.

Following a free kick from Harrogate in the 43rd minute, Matty Foulds picked up the ball in the Barrow half, he played a ball sideways to George Thomson, an exquisite through ball to Kazeem Olaigbe just side inside the Bluebird’s box, striking across the face from a wide angle, but couldn’t quite find Paul Farman’s near post as both sides continue to look for the opening in the contest.

Half Time: Harrogate Town 0-0 Barrow

A quick start to the second half saw Barrow on the attack within the first couple of minutes, Jake Young taking on George Thomson on the right-hand side before unleashing a shot at Mark Oxley’s goal which was palmed out for a corner to the roar of the traveling Bluebirds.

In the 48th minute, Sam Foley dispossessed Danny Grant 40 yards out, with the ball landing to half time introduction Josh Gordon who played it wide to Ben Whitfield, his cross was deflected out of play for a corner.

Three good chances at Paul Farman’s goal followed for the home side, the first of these came from Luke Armstrong’s effort from 25 yards out.

Danny Grant had an opportunity a minute later, after a free kick into the box found Luke Armstrong who set up the hitman, but couldn’t quite convert past Farman.

It was Danny Grant who would have another chance only 30 seconds later from 25 yards out, however, the Barrow goalkeeper was once again untroubled by the effort at goal.

In an action packed end-to-end opening hour to the contest, Ged Garner tried to dip a free-kick over Mark Oxley in the 54th minute, but got slightly too much on it, going high of the target.

Pete Wild’s side started to really up the tempo, as Ben Whitfield saw his effort cleared off the line by the foot of Oxley in the 57th minute.

Farman was forced into another save, pushing Josh Falkingham’s effort over the bar from outside the area with 64 minutes on the clock.

In the 71st minute, Barrow had perhaps the best chance of the game. Ben Whitfield shrugged off Alex Pattison, darting forward before releasing the ball to Josh Gordon. Gordon found Josh Kay on the left-hand side whose shot was parried out to Billy Waters who, not helped with a nasty bobble from the Wetherby Road pitch, hit his shot over Mark Oxley’s bar.

Harrogate Town broke the deadlock in the 74th minute. Josh Falkingham won a free kick under light pressure from Billy Waters on the half way line.

The Town captain elected to take the free kick quickly and, despite appeals for a rolling ball, Falkingham played in Jack Muldoon, who then immediately slid through Matty Daly, who made one touch and took advantage of the situation to put Harrogate into the lead, and ultimately seal all three points.

Barrow endeavoured to find an equaliser for the remainder of the game, but the hosts managed to see out the remainder of time and condemn The Bluebirds to a first defeat in over a month.

Full Time: Harrogate Town 1-0 Barrow
Attendance: 2,343 (514 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account