Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 2-0 Walsall

28 November 2023

Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 2-0 Walsall

28 November 2023

Barrow extended their win streak to seven straight victories after goals from Ben Whitfield and Niall Canavan pushed the Bluebirds into third place in League Two.

Pete Wild’s men had their first chance of the game in the seventh minute when Dean Cambell unleashed Elliott Newby down the left-hand side. He took on the Walsall defender and played the ball into the box to Ben Whitfield, who had his shot saved by the Walsall keeper.

The first goal of the game came only 11 minutes in when Canavan received the ball on the halfway line from fellow centre-back James Chester. He then played the ball over the Walsall defence into Whitfield who brought the ball down in the box and smashed it into the bottom corner.

Sixteen minutes later, the ball was once again in the net, but it was Walsall who took the opportunity. However, the Bluebirds were rescued by the assistant referee as he raised his flag to indicate the goal was offside.

Straight after the sides came out for the second half, David Worrall found himself running down the right wing and he played the ball into Whitfield, who scooped the ball up and took on the shot, but it deflected wide and out for a corner to the Bluebirds.

Barrow began to get on top in the game. The flurry of Bluebird chances started with a corner which Newby played into the box onto the head of inform George Ray. His looping header fell to Chester at the back post, but he failed to stab the ball home.

Shortly after that chance substitute Sam Foley found himself down the left-hand side and he crossed the ball into the Walsall penalty area, it fell to the head of George Ray who played it back across goal for Canavan who stabbed the ball home from close range.

The Brummie side were determined to get back into the game. Issac Hutchinson played the ball over the top of the Barrow defence toward Tom Knowles. He crossed the ball into striker Jamille Matt, but his shot was saved outstandingly by Farman to keep the score at 2-0.

After facing a barrage of chances, Pete Wild’s men stood firm and had the final chance of the game, when Dom Telford released the ball to Sam Foley who was one versus one with Smith in the Walsall goal. But he failed to get his shot away and it was cleared by a retreating defender.

After a game that featured multiple chances from both sides, the Bluebirds were the side who secured all three points to push themselves to third place, meaning they are now five points off Stockport County in first.

Barrow XI: Farman, Campbell, Ray, Canavan ©, Worrall (Stephenson 75’), Spence (Foley 62’), Newby, White, Chester, Acquah (Proctor 62’), Whitfield (Telford 75’)

Words by Dylan Whitbread

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account