Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Colchester United 1-4 Barrow AFC

25 November 2023

Club News

Match Report: Colchester United 1-4 Barrow AFC

25 November 2023

Barrow secured their sixth win on the bounce in dramatic circumstances after they came from behind to beat 10-man Colchester United 4-1 at the JobServe Community Stadium.

Colchester took the lead in the 20th minute through Cameron McGeehan and went into the break with a one-goal lead but after a chaotic end to the opening period, Barrow pulled themselves level thanks to an own goal in the 52nd minute. A George Ray brace followed before another own goal in injury time sealed the victory in Essex.

The game started in an end-to-end fashion with both teams looking dangerous on the counter with the Bluebirds creating the first chance of the game in the tenth minute. Following a Colchester corner Barrow broke quickly, and Dean Campbell curled a ball through to Elliot Newby who drove dangerously down the wing before firing a teasing cross into the area which was cleared behind by Tom Dallison.

Barrow continued to have the better chances in the opening period of the game, but McGeehan opened the scoring when smashed the ball home from close range after Paul Farman made a good stop to deny United seconds earlier.

As the first-half prolonged Barrow grew more and more into the game but were unable to create many clear-cut chances.

But that all changed seven minutes into the second period when Campbell curled a teasing cross into the area which met Dom Telford who flicked the ball into the bar, but a mixture of Ray and a Colchester defender resulted in the ball rolling into the back of the net.

Six minutes later McGeehan looked certain to regain the hosts’ lead after he rounded Farman following a quick break, but he missed the target after he hit the shot wide.

An end-end finish to the second half saw both sides come close on a number of occasions. Farman made a superb save in the 80th minute to deny Noah Chilvers who tried to roll the ball into the back of the net from close range, but our number one did superbly to deny him.

Four minutes later the hosts were reduced to ten men after Jayden Fevrier received his marching orders for tripping Newby. The resulting freekick was put behind for a corner which was delivered by Newby into the mixer, United failed to clear their lines with Ray eventually poking the ball home.

Many thought a nervy end to the match would follow but that wasn’t the case after Ray scored AGAIN!!! This time Campbell dinked a ball to the back post where Kian Spence unselfishly squared the ball to Ray to score once more.

Barrow weren’t finished there and added another goal deep into injury time when they broke dangerously on the counter. Eventually, Spence unselfishly squared the ball into the path of Acquah, but a Colchester defender got there first to poke the ball into his own goal.

That proved to be the final chance of the game after Barrow showed great character to come from behind and secure their sixth win on the trot, with them now creating a new club record of ten consecutive matches unbeaten.

Barrow XI: Farman, Ray, Canavan ©, Chester (Feely 73), Stephenson (Worrall 73), Newby, Gotts (White 45), Campbell, Spence, Proctor (Whitfield 77), Telford (Acquah 73).       

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account