Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

21 October 2023

Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 0-0 AFC Wimbledon

21 October 2023

Barrow has once again gone unbeaten in another home game, and in doing so kept their first home clean sheet of the season.

In what was an entertaining game as far as 0-0 draws go, it was certainly a game that could be described as very end to end. Regardless of the result, both sides had a multitude of chances to win the game. So, in the grand context of the game, a draw was probably the fairest result.

Coming into the game Pete Wild made four changes from the side that drew against MK Dons last weekend as George Ray, Kian Spence, David Worrall, and Ben Whitfield all came into the side.

And it was Barrow who started the stronger side in today’s game after they first tested Alex Bass in the 23rd minute after Dean Campbell crossed a freekick into the box, onto the head of George Ray, which was flicked over the bar.

Seven minutes later Omar Bugiel went down due to a Niall Canavan challenge, on the edge of the area for Wimbledon. Jake Reeves stepped up and curled his effort towards the top right corner, however, Paul Farman made an outstretched save and pushed it out wide to keep it 0-0.

In the 39th minute, Barrow earned themselves a corner, which was crossed into the box by Elliot Newby and met by the head of James Chester who flicked the ball just past the post.

Despite playing some good football and creating a number of shooting opportunities things never seemed to click for the Bluebirds. Both sides went into the halftime break with wanting more from the game.

Right after the half-time interval in the 47th minute, Gotts chased the ball down the left-hand side and crossed the ball into the Dons penalty area, but the ball scrambled across the face of the goal and went out wide for a throw to Wimbledon.

And it was dual substitutes in the form of Dom Telford and Sam Foley who got the game going for Barrow in the second half. Both made instant impacts and were very energetic off the bench. In the 75th minute, Foley played the ball over the top to Newby, who crossed the ball into Acquah and took his finish well. However, had his shot blocked off the line from a Dons’ defender.

Only two minutes later, Barrow earned themselves a corner which caused a bunch of chaos in the penalty area, until the ball scrambled out to Telford who had his shot at goal saved by the keeper. Then Canavan came onto the rebound however, unfortunately, couldn’t convert the chance and Bass scrambled to collect the ball on 77 minutes.

After that chance many suspected it wouldn’t be Barrow’s day, but as always Wild’s men persevered and created chance after chance, and another chance went beckoning when Campbell crossed another freekick into the box and had his cross was met by a header from Telford, who glanced it just past Bass’ far post.

In the 90th minute, Campbell took another free kick and again met the head of Telford who was inches away from breaking the deadlock with minutes to spare.

In the dying seconds of this end-to-end game, Barrow lost possession on the halfway line to Al Hamadi of Wimbledon, who ran through the Barrow half and put the ball into the centre of the pitch for Jake Reeves to run onto. But he was met with Farman, chasing out his goal, who made the save of the match keeping Reeves’ shot out the goal and saving the point for Barrow.

Barrow XI: Farman, Canavan ©, Ray, Chester, Worrall, Newby, Gotts (Foley 62’), Campbell, Spence (Stephenson 79’), Acquah (Garner 87’), Whitfield (Telford 62’)


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account