Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 3-2 Doncaster Rovers

30 September 2023

Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 3-2 Doncaster Rovers

30 September 2023

Pete Wild’s side claimed a crucial 3-2 win over Doncaster Rovers at the SO Legal Stadium.

Tyrell Warren opened the scoring with an empathic header and Barrow’s joy was doubled when Ged Garner fired home from a free kick.

Joe Ironside pulled a goal back for the away side midway through the first half, but Emile Acquah restored our two-goal cushion six minutes from time before Mo Faal pulled another goal back for Rovers in stoppage time.

Wild was forced to make a whole host of changes from our lasting outing against Mansfield Town as Tom White, Jamie Proctor, and David Worrall missed today’s game through minor injuries, whilst Junior Tiensia was missing after he served the first game of his three-game suspension.

Two of the incoming players linked up perfectly in the 12th minute to give us the lead when Elliot Newby swung a superb ball into the area which was headed home by Warren for his first goal of the season.

After the opener, the game turned into a real dog fight with the referee’s notebook becoming very busy after several bookings in a short space of time.

Eventually, Rovers created the next noteworthy chance of the game in the 33rd minute when Luke Molyneux’s cross was met by Tom Nixon who volleyed towards goal, but Newby made a superb block to deny the away side.

After a few more yellow cards to polish off the first half, the Bluebirds began the second period brightly and doubled their lead in the 53rd minute.

Louis Jones handed the ball right outside the area which resulted in a free kick to Barrow 18 yards from goal. Garner then stepped up and riffled his shot into the back of the net which looped over the keeper’s arms thanks to a deflection.

Five minutes later Doncaster pulled one back after Ironside headed home after we failed to clear our lines from a deep free kick.

After a tense finish to the game, our two-goal lead was restored four minutes from time when Sam Foley played a devastating ball through to fellow substitute Emile Acquah, who remained composed in front of goal as he slotted the ball home.

In added time Faal pulled another goal back after his header looped over Farman into the far corner of the goal but Barrow held on to secure their first three points in three weeks.

Barrow XI: Farman, Chester, Ray, Canavan ©, Newby, Warren ( Stephenson 62), Campbell, Spence (Feely 90), Gotts (Foley 62), Garner (Acquah 73), Telford (Whitfield 73).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account