Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC B 5-3 Blackpool Reserves

12 September 2023

Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC B 5-3 Blackpool Reserves

12 September 2023

The B Team certainly picked up from where they left off following a 5-1 victory over Wrexham Reserves in their first-ever game, with yet another five-goal performance in a 5-3 win over Blackpool Reserves earlier this afternoon.

B Team Head Coach Jason Taylor elected to field a very strong side following the first team’s lack of a competitive fixture since their EFL Trophy clash against Blackpool's first team a week ago.

Therefore, it was to little surprise that his side dominated the early stages of the game with their first chance coming less than three minutes into the Cup Tie. Sam Bellis worked hard to win the ball just outside the Blackpool box, before Barrow eventually played the ball out wide to Elliot Newby who delivered a low cross to the back post where Bellis met the ball first time, but he was denied by the feet of the keeper.

The experienced Bluebirds continued to dominate the early stages of this clash and deservedly broke the deadlock after 13 minutes when Sam Foley flicked the ball into the top corner following a delicious delivery from Newby’s inswing corner.

Taylor’s side looked encouraged by the early goal as they looked to double their lead on several occasions before the break. Captain for the day Robbie Gotts curled a free-kick just over the bar, whilst Ged Garner also had a fierce shot well blocked by the Tangerines' defence.

However, eventually the lead was doubled in the 40th minute when Gotts smashed the ball into the top left corner after Newby slid the skipper in following a great spell of possession from Barrow.

Josh Lillis was finally called into action in the final minute of the half after the Tangerines quickly broke on the counter which resulted in Jake Daniels getting a low shot away, but our experienced keeper did superbly to tip it away from goal.

Daniels’ relentless hunt for a goal continued and eventually he managed to pull one back in first-half injury time when he slid the ball home from a couple of yards out.

Only four minutes into the second half Blackpool broke quickly on the break again and found themselves level after Daniels scooped the ball over Lillis.

The two quick-fire goals from Daniels seemed to flatten some of the momentum Barrow created in the first half after the game became a more even affair early in the second period.

In the 59th minute Sean Etaluku was inches away from restoring our lead after he received a pass from Owen Bray just inside the area before quickly shifting the ball onto his right foot however, he fired just wide of the top right corner.

Only three minutes the tricky winger fired a pinpoint delivery into the area, where Bellis did well to volley home from six yards out to restore our lead.

Garner then doubled our lead less than a minute later when he tucked home a rebound following a good save from the Blackpool keeper on Bellis.

The flurry of Barrow goals midway through the second half continued in the 75th minute when Bellis grabbed his brace after he guided the ball into the bottom right corner following another low delivery from Newby out on the right wing.

The hosts did pull a goal back in the 77th minute when Dannen Francis unselfishly squared the ball for Luke Mariette, who tapped the ball into an empty net following another swift counter.

That goal proved to be the final major chance of what was a very eventful afternoon at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium as Taylor’s side deservedly ran out 5-3 winners.

Barrow XI: Lillis, Foley (Reeve 64), Chester, Warren, Newby, Stephenson, Gotts ©, Bray, Etaluku, Garner, Bellis.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account