Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Newport County 1-1 Barrow AFC

16 September 2023

Club News

Match Report: Newport County 1-1 Barrow AFC

16 September 2023

A second-half Dean Campbell penalty won Barrow another point on the road at Newport County.

The home crowd at Rodney Parade was delighted heading into the break, as midfielder Shane McLoughlin thundered them in front.

Before this, the hosts missed a penalty when Omar Bogle fired wide, whilst their misery was compounded when Campbell converted from the spot to level the contest.

Pete Wild made a single change to the side that last lined up in League Two against Harrogate Town a fortnight ago with Emile Acquah dropping out for David Worrall as the Bluebirds shuffled back to a back five.

Barrow started well in South Wales applying early pressure. A cross Worrall found Jamie Proctor inside the six-yard box but his effort was parried over the crossbar by Nick Townsend.

As the match developed the Exiles began to showcase their skills and their efforts soon forced results as Bogle crossed into strike partner Will Evans, who was tripped by George Ray according to the referee, who pointed for a penalty.

Former Cardiff City man Bogle stepped up but struck the post with the spot kick.

Newport then fashioned a flurry of opportunities. The first forced a fantastic save from Paul Farman before the second left the Barrow stopper unable to intervene when the ball was slotted through to McLoughlin, who arrowed an effort into the top corner.

Despite the little time left, there was more action that followed before the interval. Ryan Delaney, who was one of three County players booked within the opening 20 minutes, was dismissed after a late challenge on former County man Dom Telford.

After the break, Barrow had the ball in the back of the Newport net, however, it was promptly chalked off because of a foul after Proctor headed home Campbell’s corner.

Just over 15 minutes later, this feat was repeated, and this time, the strike counted as Campbell pierced the Newport backline with a ball into substitute Robbie Gotts, who was brought down in the box.

The game’s second penalty was awarded, and Campbell made no mistake. The summer signing sent the keeper the wrong way to net his first competitive Bluebirds goal.

As the game neared its end, Wild’s side looked the more likely to steal the points, creating a number of chances.

Campbell provoked penalty box pinball after shooting from the edge of the area, but nobody could find a decisive touch.

The chances continued to come throughout nine minutes of injury time. The best of which fell to Ged Garner, who failed to find the required connection after Sam Foley tried to tee him up following a floated Feely cross.

The encounter ended in a stalemate, as Wild’s men continue their positive start to the new League Two season with another point on the road.

Barrow now has to wait a week for their next contest. Another away fixture looms, as the Bluebirds travel to promotion-hopefuls, Mansfield Town.

Barrow starting XI: Farman; Tiensia, Canavan (Chester, 77), Ray, Feely; White (Foley, 70), Campbell, Spence (Acquah, 61); Telford (Garner, 70), Proctor, Worrall (Gotts, 61’).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account