Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Morecambe 2-1 Barrow AFC

1 April 2024

Club News

Match Report: Morecambe 2-1 Barrow AFC

1 April 2024

The Bluebirds were unfortunate to be on the wrong side of a 2-1 score line during today’s clash against Morecambe as Ben Whitfield netted his 11th goal of the season.

Pete Wild made one change to the side which beat Grisby Town on Good Friday with Luca Stephenson coming back into the side after returning from injury in place of defender Tyrell Warren.

The Shrimps got the game underway with the home side making an early breakthrough in the third minute when David Tutonda smashed the ball home from close range, following a brilliant goal-line block from George Ray.

As the game progressed throughout the first ten minutes, the Bluebirds continued to battle for the ball, but The Shrimps dominated possession as they looked to add to their lead.

Their efforts were rewarded when Gwion Edwards reacted quickest to the ball, following a misplaced pass by James Chester, he then galloped into the box, took it around Paul Farman in goal, and netted it into an open goal.

The Bluebirds began to get a foothold in the game and gain momentum as the first half progressed, with the Cumbrians coming closest to scoring in the 26th minute when Dom Telford brought the ball down from a Ben Whitfield cross and managed to lay it off for Cole Stockton, whose first-time low shot was superbly saved by the feet of goalkeeper, Archie Mair.

As the first half drew to a close, the Bluebirds were starting to get on top in the game, with Wild’s men pushing for a breakthrough but it wasn’t to be with the Shrimpers heading into the break with a 2-0 lead in the game.

At the break, Wild made his first change of the game after bringing on Elliot Newby for striker, Telford following a tactical switch.

The Bluebirds carried on gaining momentum and dominated the second half, coming inches away from scoring when Dean Campbell made a curling cross towards the back post which was met by the foot of Rory Feely, but his shot missed by inches above the crossbar.

The Cumbrians managed to find a breakthrough a minute from time when Newby smashed in a low shot towards the Morecambe net which was blocked off the line, but Whitfield reacted first to smash it home to make it 2-1.

However, it wasn’t to be for the Bluebirds, with all three points remaining at the Mazuma Stadium with the home side taking the bragging rights on derby day.

Farman ©, Campbell, Ray, Spence, Gotts (Worrall 73’), Chester (Acquah 73’), Stephenson (Foley 60’), Telford (Newby 46’), Stockton (Proctor 80’), Feely, Whitfield.

Words by Dylan Whitbread

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account