Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Salford City 5-3 Barrow AFC

17 February 2024

Club News

Match Report: Salford City 5-3 Barrow AFC

17 February 2024

Pete Wild’s men found themselves on the wrong side of an eight thriller at the Peninsula Stadium as an inform Salford City side secured a 5-3 win.

Coming into the match, Wild made five changes from Tuesday night’s game with Tyrell Warren, Rory Feely, Kian Spence, Mazeed, and Emile Acquah all coming into the starting 11.

Tom White got the game underway this afternoon with Barrow creating the first opportunity only a minute in when Emile Acquah headed down the ball for Kian Spence, who played it into Cole Stockton but his shot was blocked well by a defender.

Salford’s first chance of the game came in the sixth minute when Conor McAleny burst through the midfield and tested goalkeeper Paul Farman from distance, but he got down well to make the save.

With both sides gaining momentum, Gotts curled in another sumptuous ball into the back post, where Canavan managed to hook it with his right foot, but Alex Cairns reacted efficiently to make the save.

The first goal of the game came in the 27th minute when Callum Hendry received the ball 20 yards out from goal, he took on a right-footed shot, which curled past Farman in the Barrow net to put the home side 1-0 in front.

Salford came forward again when Luke Garbutt received the ball from just outside the area and he took on a left-footed shot, which rebounded off the crossbar.

The Bluebirds then equalised right before half-time, when Acquah controlled the ball out of the sky and played it into Stockton who took on a right-footed shot from outside the box, which curled into the bottom right corner to get the Cumbrian side back in the game.

Barrow bounced back immediately after halftime when Gotts’ corner curled into the centre of the box and onto the head of Tyrell Warren, who headed it past Cairns to make 1-2 to the Cumbrian side.

Ten minutes later Salford played the ball into McAleny who was hot on the heels of defender Ray, as he received the ball and he burst into the Barrow penalty area and finished neatly into the bottom right-hand corner to claw the home side level.

Salford managed to get themselves back in the lead after six successive corners when Hendry received the ball on the edge of the Barrow box. He then smashed in a right-footed shot down the centre of the goal to put the home side back in the lead via a big deflection.

Salford continued to dominate possession, with the home side creating multiple chances, and they reaped the rewards, when they crossed the ball into the box in the 77th minute and Matt Smith headed the ball in from close range to put the home side 4-2 ahead.

In the 86th minute, Smith found himself once again in the middle of the box and on the end of a Salford cross as he headed the ball into the back of the net, scoring his second goal of the game.

The final chance fell to the Bluebirds, as they managed to get one back when Stockton received the ball on the edge of the Salford box, and he teed himself up for his second goal of the game and he wrong-footed the keeper in the Salford neat with a neat finish.

Barrow XI: Farman, Mazeed (Newby 79’), Ray, Canavan ©, Spence, White (Campbell 79’), Gotts (Foley 70’), Acquah (Whitfield 79’), Warren (Worrall 79’), Stockton, Feely

Words by Dylan Whitbread


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account