Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 1-3 Crewe Alexandra

21 January 2024

Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 1-3 Crewe Alexandra

21 January 2024

Barrow fell to their first home defeat of the 2023/2024 season having lost 3-1 to Crewe Alexandra at the SO Legal Stadium.

The Cumbrian side faced a number of changes ahead of today's game, with David Worrall, Robbie Gotts, and Tom White all coming into the starting 11. With new loan signing Cole Stockton starting on the bench.

The first opportunity of the game fell to Crewe when Aaron Rowe played the ball through to Elliott Nevitt, who had a right-footed shot from outside the box, but it was blocked superbly by Bluebirds defender George Ray.

Bluebirds supporters didn’t have to wait long for the first goal when David Worrall crossed the ball into the box towards Robbie Gotts, who took on a right-footed shot from the center of the box scoring emphatically into the bottom left corner.

After a quick start from the home side, the Cumbrians created a few more chances within the first 15 minutes, with the best chance coming when Jamie Proctor had a header saved from a corner by Tom Booth in the Crewe net.

Crewe scored their first goal of the game on 19 minutes, the goal came when Chris Long managed to get his cross into the Barrow box, and the ball fell to the feet of Nevitt who took his right-footed shot from close range to make it 1-1.

After the goal the first half lacked goal-mouth actions are both sides were patiently trying to carve out an opening.

As the second half got underway, Crewe immediately began on the front foot creating the first chance of the second half, when Rio Adebisi played the ball towards Nevitt in the Barrow box, but his right-footed shot was blocked from outside the box.

Gotts had an opportunity to make it 2-1 to the Bluebirds when Elliot Newby crossed the ball into the away box, the ball fell to Gotts in the centre of the box, but his shot was blocked superbly by Crewe defender Luke Offord.

However, Crewe got the next goal of the game in the 64th minute, when Tracey once again found himself on the end of a through ball in the Bluebirds box, this time he turned provider when he picked out Lewis Billington at the back post who scored to make it 1-2 to the away side.

After facing a barrage of chances from the Cheshire side, the Bluebirds had some respite when Dean Campbell played the ball towards inform striker, Ben Whitfield who took on a left-footed shot from the centre of the box, but it was saved well by Booth.

Crewe once again found themselves in on goal with five minutes left to play, when Ryan Cooney played the ball through to Courtney Baker-Richardson who had a right-footed shot blocked by Farman in the Barrow net. However, he only managed to parry the ball into the path of oncoming attacker Matus Holicek, who headed the ball into the open net to make it 1-3.

The final chance of the game fell to the Bluebirds when Niall Canavan headed the ball across the Crewe box, the ball fell at the feet of Newby who took on a right foot in the centre of the box, but Booth managed to save well to keep the score at 1-3.

Barrow XI: Farman, Ray (Telford 69’), Canavan ©, Worrall, Spence, Proctor (Stockton 69’), Newby, White (Stephenson 80’), Gotts (Campbell 61’), Chester, Whitfield (Acquah 80’)

Words by Dylan Whitbread

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account