Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Lancashire Senior Cup Match Report: Morecambe 2-6 Barrow AFC

9 January 2024

Club News

Lancashire Senior Cup Match Report: Morecambe 2-6 Barrow AFC

9 January 2024

Jason Taylor’s Barrow side staged a successful second-half comeback after they came from 2-1 down, to run out 6-2 winners at the Mazuma Stadium to book their place in the next round of the Lancashire Senior Cup.

Despite taking an early lead through Dom Telford, in reality the Bluebird started the game slowly and went into the break behind. However, following some electric finishing from Telford, Robbie Gotts and Sam Bellis the Bluebirds eventually ran out 6-2 winners.

Telford created the first chance of the match only two minutes in when he picked up the ball on the halfway line and proceeded to try and chip the Morecambe keeper from 35 yards, but the keeper did well to hold onto his attempt.

After a series of half chances in the opening 20 minutes, the Bluebirds eventually took the lead in the 24th minute after Sam Foley worked hard to win the ball just outside the Morecambe area and he threaded it through to Telford who calmly dinked it home.

The home side fought back and found themselves level 10 minutes later after Gwion Edwards drove dangerously into the Barrow area, where his cross made its way to Cammy Smith who riffled the ball home.

Six minutes later the Bluebirds were punished after they tried to play out from the back and Edwards squared the ball across the box to Saul Fox-Akande who tapped the ball home.

After a frustrating opening period the Bluebirds came out the blocks with a point to prove and soon found themselves level after Ged Garner weighted a great ball through to Bellis who beat the offside trap and proceeded to blast the ball into the bottom left corner.

Just two minutes later Barrow found themselves ahead after a woeful pass from a Morecambe defender found Gotts unmarked inside the area and he stroked the ball home in the 58th minute.

Taylor’s men continued to be ruthless in front of goal and scored their fourth goal of the afternoon only nine minutes later. Substitute Owen Bray put a great tackle in on the right touchline and Garner spearheaded a dangerous-looking counterattack. His ball found Gotts in the middle who slid it through to Bellis who slid the ball beyond the keeper.

Barrow wasn’t finished there and got a fifth goal in the 73rd minute when Sean Etaluku powerfully burst down the wing before crossing it into Trialist A who unselfishly set the ball to Telford to tap home from close range.

Our number 19 completed his hattrick in the 79th minute after a Bellis picked the ball up on halfway. He then threaded it into the area for Garner who cut the ball back for Telford who slid in to complete his hattrick.

Fox-Akande had a chance to pull one back for the hosts two minutes from time when he raced through on goal, but Foley did just enough to put him off as the forward fired a low shot into the arms of Josh Lillis.

Barrow XI: Lillis, Mazeed, Garner, White, Gotts (c) (Trialist A 72), Foley, Telford, Feely (Bray 45), Reeve, Etaluku, Bellis.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account