Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 2-0 Gillingham

5 March 2024

Club News

Match Report: Barrow AFC 2-0 Gillingham

5 March 2024

The Bluebirds got back to winning ways after they ran out 2-0 winners against Gillingham at Holker Street thanks to goals from James Chester and Emile Acquah.

Pete Wild’s men went into today’s game with three changes to the side which fell to a 5-3 defeat away to Salford City. With Elliott Newby, James Chester, and Dean Campbell all coming into the side.

The game began with both sides evenly balanced, with neither side creating any chances within the first 20 minutes of the game.

The Bluebirds created their first chance when Acquah had his left-footed shot saved from close range, by Glenn Morris in the Gillingham net after a superb interception by Kian Spence.

Spence was next to come close to scoring when he had a left-footed shot from the centre of the box missing just right of the post.

The Cumbrian supporters didn’t have to wait long for the first goal of the game when George Ray played the ball across the box to Chester, who scored a right-footed shot from close range to put the Bluebirds in front right before half-time.

Wild’s men started the second half the strongest when in the 48th minute Spence received the ball from Acquah outside of the box, he then took on a right-footed shot which was saved well down the centre of the goal by Morris.

Barrow went on to create successive chances and were finally rewarded for their efforts when Niall Canavan played the ball back to Acquah following a corner. Who then finished off the move with a striking effort from outside the box, which rifled past Morris in the net and into the top right corner.

The Gills began to make strides in the game, with their best opportunity coming in the 67th minute when Shadrach Ogie played the ball into substitute Connor Mahoney, whose left-footed shot from outside the box was blocked well by the Barrow defender.

Ten minutes later, after creating a barrage of chances, Gillingham found themselves with another missed opportunity, when Jayden Clarke headed from the left side of the box, but he missed just wide and right of the post.

Three minutes later Clarke was on the end of another chance when Shaun Williams played the ball into him, Clarke then took on his shot from outside the box but the Bluebirds defender got in the way to prevent the goal.

As the sides headed into the eight minutes of added time, Gillingham began to pile on the pressure with successive corners late into the second half. Their efforts were nearly rewarded when Williams managed to pull off a left-footed shot from outside the box, but his shot missed just wide of the left post.

After a hard-fought battle between the two sides, Wild’s men achieved their first win since February 3rd. The Cumbrian side now find themselves back in the playoffs, and just seven points away from an automatic promotion space.

Farman, Campbell, Ray, Canavan, Spence (Mazeed 82’), Newby, Gotts (Whitfield 82’), Chester, Acquah (Telford 82’), Warren (Stephenson 72’), Stockton (Foley 72’).

Words by Dylan Whitbread

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account