Report: Aldershot 1-1 Barrow

The report from our draw away at Aldershot in the National League.

The Bluebirds were held to a draw at play off hopefuls Aldershot on Saturday thanks to an injury time equaliser by Scott Rendell.

Barrow started brightly in a fantastic atmosphere at the Rec, Lewis Walters having a shot in the early stages but the Forest loanee couldn’t get any power behind his effort.

Aldershot then went close, a teasing cross just missing Scott Rendell who was diving in on the 6 yard line. Lewis Walters then had a shot blocked before the home side won the first corner of the game which was easily dealt with by the Bluebirds defence.

As the players took a quick drink break during a stoppage for an injury, the game was still goalless with nothing but half chances including a blocked effort by Luke James.

Matt McClure couldn’t continue after the stoppage and the injured player was replaced by Josh McQuoid for Aldershot with just under 30 minutes played.

The 15 minutes before half time saw no real chances for either team, one minute of added time played before referee Sam Purkiss blew the whistle to signal half time. Aldershot having had most of the posession but failing to test Steve Arnold in the Barrow goal.

Half Time: Aldershot Town 0-0 Barrow

Althought they hadn’t tested him in the opening 45 minutes, the home side forced the Bluebirds keeper in action just 2 minutes into the second half. A low shot from the right hand side of the area forcing Arnold to parry to ball away.

Dan Jones saw his effort go over the bar before Jake Gallagher was replaced by James Rowe for the home side. Jordan White then broke down the left but couldn’t find a cross for the home side, with Shamir Fenelon firing over for the Shots soon after.

The Bluebirds then had the best chance of the game. Grant Holt found Jordan White with a fantastic through ball, the forward striking low across the goalkeeper but seeing his shot sail agonisingly wide of the post.

Just past the hour mark the home side went close. A header to the back post tipped over brilliantly by Steve Arnold who then punched the resulting corner clear.

Substitutions were then made for both sides, with Harry Panayiotou replacing Grant Holt and Brad Bauress replacing Lewis Walters for Barrow, Jim Kellermann replacing Adam McDonnell for Aldershot.

With 72 minutes played, the Bluebirds then took the lead. A free kick was floated in by Dan Jones, the ball only being cleared as far as Luke James who hooked a volley into the back of the net from 25 yards sparking wild celebrations in the away end.

Bedsente Gomis was then brought on for Barrow, replacing Tony Diagne, before being booked almost immediately.

Unsurprisingly, the hosts threw everything at Barrow but a mix of poor crossing and great defending saw the Bluebirds soak up the pressure until a game changing moment with five minutes to go.

Brad Bauress was shown a straight red card on 86 minutes for a tackle just inside the Barrow half, which the club have since appealed.

The Bluebirds were hanging on as five minutes added time was announced at the end of the game.

With three of the five minutes played, it was heartbreak for the Bluebirds. A cross from the right by Oyeleke found Scott Rendell at the back post who headed into the far corner of the goal.

The full time whistle went shortly after, a solid point for Barrow despite the late equaliser for the home side.

Full Time: Aldershot Town 1-1 Barrow