Report: Barrow 0-0 Dover Athletic

The report from our 0-0 draw with Dover Athletic.



Arnold, Makoma, Cook, Diarra, Macdonald, Hall, Gomis, K.James, Holt, L. James, Walters

Jones, White, Bauress, Waterston, Diagne



Walker, Ilesanmi, Gallifuoco, Parry, Essam, Brundle, Pinnock, Lokko, Bellamy, Marsh-Brown, Azeez

Passley, Okosieme, Bird, Daniel, Jeffrey


On a sunny, spring day at Holker Street, the Bluebirds overcame Wednesday’s defeat against Hartlepool to turn in a spirited performance against promotion-chasing Dover. Barrow were unlucky in having to settle for a draw, having much of the possession in the second half.

Unfortunately, we couldn’t make our lion’s share of set pieces count, although a Calum MacDonald 57th minute effort came very close.

The first half was evenly matched, with the Bluebirds perhaps slightly shading it.

In the 4th minute, a Luke James cross from a Donovan Makoma throw ended up on the roof of the net. Three minutes later, Dover were awarded the first corner of the game but Mitch Brundle’s kick was punched clear by Steve Arnold. A tame low shot by Bedsente Gomis in the 8th minute gave Mitch Walker no problems.

The Bluebirds gained their first corner in 25th minute to gain our first corner but this was cleared and a minute later, Arnold saved a Brundle shot. Another minute on it was Barrow who came close, a Callum MacDonald free kick from the half way line resulting in a goalmouth scramble with Cook and James just unable to prod the ball home. Five minutes before half time both Moussa Diarra and Brundle were booked for a tangle in the area.


Barrow 0-0 Dover Athletic


Barrow played even better in the second half. In the 56th minute, three minutes after Dover replaced Marsh-Brown with Bird, Luke James was tripped heading goalwards following a good long ball from Grant Holt. The culprit Connor Essam was booked and Calum MacDonald’s 20 yard free kick was heading just inside the right post. However, Mitch Walker just managed to tip it onto the post and away for a corner.

On the hour, Dover replaced Pinnock with Jeffrey but Barrow were still in the ascendancy. A goalbound Luke James was felled by Brundle, already on a yellow, but no penalty was given.

As the final quarter hour approached, Brad Bauress came on for Lewis Walters, with Dover making their final change of Daniel for Azeez. In the 85th minute, White came on for Holt as Barrow continued to press. However, a minute later we had a close escape when Kevin Lokko fired wide of the right post from close range.

More Barrow free kicks came and went but we couldn’t make that breakthrough. Man of the Match was awarded to Luke James although Calum MacDonald also shone and the team performance as a whole was very solid.


Barrow 0-0 Dover Athletic


Our thanks to Derek for the report.